AURORA, Ill. – Third-seeded Aurora scored two second-half goals to break a scoreless halftime draw and the Spartans went on to defeat the sixth-seeded Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team on Saturday morning in a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament First Round match at a rain-soaked Vago Field. The loss ends the Warriors' season with a 9-9-1 overall record.
- Final Score: Aurora 2, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (9-9-1), Aurora (10-7-2)
- Location: Vago Field, Aurora, Ill. | Attendance: 212
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors and Spartans played to a scoreless draw through one half. AU out-shot WLC 8-3 with all three of the Warriors' shot being on target.
- The Spartans scored their eventual game-winning goal in the 57th minute off Steven Soderstrom's corner kick that was headed in by Juan Jahen.
- AU's Ben Edith added an unassisted insurance goal in the 87th minute for the final 2-0 margin.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors finished with nine shots, including five on goal. Austin Drake (East Troy, Wis./East Troy) and Reed Luengen (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) tallied three shots each for WLC.
- Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) made seven saves for the Warriors.
- AU finished with 21 shots and nine on target. Ryan Murphy and Soderstrom led the Spartans with four shots each.
- Zach McFarland from Aurora made fives saves to earn the shutout in net.
- The Warriors fall to 0-4-0 in NACC Tournament games while Aurora improved to 6-7-3.
- The Spartans advance to play second-seeded MSOE on Tuesday in a NACC Tournament semifinal matchup.
- "I am proud of our effort today," said head coach Joe Luedke. "The field conditions were difficult and Aurora is a good team. We had some good chances that we just didn't finish. It was a good season and I am proud of the legacy this senior class leaves behind. Unfortunately we did not come out on top today, but that does not diminish the season we had."