MILWAUKEE – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team opened its 2015 campaign with a tough 5-0 setback against UW-Whitewater Tuesday night at Warrior Soccer Field. The Warhawks, who reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season, received scoring contributions from five different players in the opening-night contest.
- Final Score: UW-Whitewater 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1-0), UW-Whitewater (1-0-0)
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 195
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UW-Whitewater struck early in the 11th minute off the foot of Dylan Hottsmith and then again 38 seconds later off a booming kick by Kyle Ricely from 24 yards out.
- The score remained 2-0 in favor of UWW through halftime.
- Zach Manibog added insurance for Whitewater in the 66th minute with his first goal of the season.
- The Warhawks tacked on one late with another tally off the foot of Jordan Kayser in the 81st minute of the contest.
- The final goal of the night came when Adrian Castillo found the back corner of the net in the 85th minute.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) made three saves for the Warriors.
- Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) led WLC in shots with three, including two on goal.
- Nate Wasser (Lake Geneva, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) contributed two more shots in the contest.
- UW-Whitewater controlled the shot count, 22-6.
- Five different UWW players found the back of the net.
- Warhawks' goalie Alex Buchman saved the only three shots he faced on goal.
- The two sides combined for 24 fouls and two yellow cards.
- Wisconsin Lutheran remains home Friday when it hosts Bethany Lutheran (0-1-0) at 7:15 p.m. at Warrior Soccer Field.