MILWAUKEE - Aurora's Emmanuel Denton broke a scoreless tie nine minutes into the second half as the Spartans held off the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team 1-0 Saturday afternoon at Warrior Soccer Field. The loss eliminated WLC from NACC Tournament contention.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors, who suffered their second straight one-goal defeat, fell to 8-9-1 overall and 2-6-1 in the NACC. The Spartans improved to 11-4-2 overall and 6-3-0 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- AU's Denton broke a 0-0 tie in the tightly-contested contest when he headed the ball past Warriors goalkeeper Nick Van Pay (Green Bay, Wis./Southwest) in the 55th minute following an impressive long throw-in from teammate Jason O'Brien.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Aurora outshot Wisconsin Lutheran 18-7, but just 4-3 in shots on target.
- AU had three players (Nick Cataldi, Miguel Barajas, and O'Brien) tie for a match-high with three shots each. Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) led the Warriors with two shots.
- Both goalkeepers made three saves in the match.
- The referee issued four yellow cards, two towards each team, in the second half.
- WLC had 10 corner kicks compared to just three for AU, but couldn't convert on its chances.
- The Spartans' Zach McFarland collected his fourth shutout of the season in goal.
- The Warriors wrap-up their 2014 season Wednesday when they host Lakeland (5-11-1, 2-7-0 NACC) at 7 p.m. It will mark the final career home match for the Warriors' eight seniors. A live audio broadcast will be available on wlcsports.com.