MILWAUKEE – Austin Drake (East Troy, Wis./East Troy) and Mavric Otterstatter (Fond du Lac, Wis./Winnebago Lutheran) each scored in the second half as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team held off Lawrence 2-1 Wednesday night in a non-conference match at Warrior Soccer Field.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors snapped a brief two-game losing skid and improved to 6-4-0 overall, while the Vikings remained winless at 0-6-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first half, Drake put the Warriors in front 1-0 in the 51st minute by slipping a shot past the Lawrence keeper following a great pass down the left side from Reed Luengen (Slinger, Wis./Slinger). The goal was Drake's fifth of the year and Luengen's second assist of the season.
- Otterstatter gave the Warriors a 2-0 lead in the 59th minute when he connected on his third penalty kick of the season after a LU foul inside the box. It was the third game-winning goal of his career.
- The Vikings cut the deficit in half five minutes later when Joe Cullen found of the back of the net off an assist from Michael Deremo.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- WLC out-shot LU 14-7 for the match, including a 10-3 advantage in the second half. Drake led all players with three shots in the contest.
- Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) made one save in the match, coming in the second half.
- Wisconsin Lutheran has played at Warrior Soccer Field just three times through its first 10 games, but has won all three matches on its home turf.
- The Vikings have scored just two goals through seven games this season.
- Lawrence now leads the all-time series 5-3-0 over WLC.
- Wisconsin Lutheran travels to Rockford (1-7-1, 0-2-0 NACC) Saturday at 1 p.m. for a conference match against the Regents. Live stats will be available at wlcsports.com.