LISLE, Ill. - Benedictine's Ante Markotic scored a pair of second-half goals to lift Benedictine to a 3-1 victory over the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference opener Saturday afternoon at The Sports Complex.
WHERE THEY STAND
- BenU improved to 2-5-1 overall and 1-0-0 in the NACC while WLC fell to 5-4-0 overall and 0-1-0 in the NACC.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nick Kapetanos scored first for Benedictine in the 16th minute on an unassisted goal, his fourth of the season.
- Mavric Otterstatter (Fond du Lac, Wis./Winnebago Lutheran) tied the game for Wisconsin Lutheran on a penalty kick in the 48th minute for his third goal of the season.
- Ante Markotic found the back of the net twice, supplying the game-winning goal in the 55th minute on a sliding header with assistance from Edgar Reyes and Nick Kapetanos. Markotic scored again off of a rebound in the 74th minute for his fourth goal of the season.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Benedictine held a slight 17-15 edge in the shot count, but the Warriors held a 7-6 advantage in shots on goal.
- Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) stopped six shots for the Warriors, while Eagles' goalkeeper Steve Mack made seven saves.
- Markotic led all players with eight shots. Ryan Kurth (Pleasant Prairie, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) attempted five shots, including four on goal for WLC.
- The Warriors host a non-conference match against Lawrence (0-4-1) Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Warrior Soccer Field.