WATERTOWN, Wis. – Wisconsin Lutheran College overcame a 2-0 deficit and tied the game early in the second half, but Maranatha's Tim Rogers scored his second goal of the game in the 66th minute to send the Sabercats past the Warriors 3-2 Tuesday afternoon.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors saw their four-match win streak come to an end as they fell to 5-3-0. Maranatha improves to 3-1-0 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rogers gave the hosts an early 1-0 lead in the 8th minute off a Taylor Pill corner kick.
- The Sabercats' lead grew to 2-0 in the 12th minute on a Brett Cournoyer unassisted score.
- Roman Nino (Lake Worth, Fla./Santaluces) cut the deficit in half in the 40th minute off an assist from Yussef Sahraoui (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee).
- Nate Wasser (Lake Geneva, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) knotted the score at 2-2 with his conference-leading seventh score of the season in the 50th minute.
- Rogers broke the deadlock for MBU in the 66th minute after dribbling through traffic for what turned out to be the game-winning goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors outshot Maranatha 18-12, including 10-6 in shots on target.
- Wasser, Nick Zupinski (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran), and Teffie Joyce (Green Bay, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) had three shots each for WLC.
- Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) made two saves in net for the Warriors.
- Charles Leeds had eight saves, including seven crucial stops in the second half, to preserve the Sabercats' win.
- Two of Rogers' three shots in the game were goals for MBU.
- The Sabercats have won their last two matchups against the Warriors.
- WLC opens its Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference schedule Saturday when it travels to take on defending conference champion Benedictine (1-4-1). Match time is set for 3:30 p.m. Live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com.