MILWAUKEE - Nate Wasser (Lake Geneva, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) scored twice and Taylor Hershoff (New Berlin, Wis./Eisenhower) added two assists as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team defeated Beloit 5-1 Friday at a rain-soaked Warrior Soccer Field.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors improved to 4-2-0 after winning their third straight game, while the Buccaneers remained winless at 0-5-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- WLC scored first in the 10th minute when Hershoff connected with Wasser, who headed in a corner kick for his fourth score of the season.
- Wasser followed with his fifth netter of the year in the 21st minute unassisted for the 2-0 lead.
- Beloit cut its deficit in half in the 28th minute after Phillip Amsden converted a penalty kick after being fouled inside the box.
- Mavric Otterstatter (Fond du Lac, Wis./Winnebago Lutheran) gave the Warriors a 3-1 lead in the 39th minute after he headed in a goal from another Hershoff corner kick.
- Teffie Joyce (Green Bay, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) registered the first tally of the second half with an unassisted score in the 63rd minute, his first of the season.
- Nick Zupinski (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) wrapped up the scoring for WLC in the 79th minute on a breakaway that was assisted by Jimmy Pierson (Brown Deer, Wis./Brown Deer).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors outshot the Buccaneers 22-6, including 13-2 in shots on target.
- Wasser, Jake Semmann (Grafton, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran), and Isaac Kolterjahn (Sturgeon Bay, Wis./Sturgeon Bay) each had a team-high three shots.
- WLC attempted 13 corner kicks, its second highest total of the season.
- Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) needed to make only one save in the game.
- Friday's victory was the first win for the Warriors over Beloit in their last 10 meetings dating back to 2003.
- The Warriors will play their second of three Midwest Conference opponents of the season Sunday, traveling to Ripon (1-3-1) for 1 p.m. kickoff.