JANESVILLE, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - Derick Disch (Greenfield, Wis.) shot an opening-round 72 and tied for third overall to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's golf team to a third-place finish at the season-opening Culver's-Edgewood Fall Invitational Friday afternoon at Glen Erin Golf Club. Saturday's second round was cancelled due to weather.
- Tournament: Culver's-Edgewood Fall Invitational
- Location: Glen Erin Golf Club, Janesville, Wis.
- Course Info: Par 71, 6,849
- WLC Team: T-3rd of 20 (+22)
- Top WLC Individual: Derick Disch (+1), T-3rd of 114
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Disch posted the second-lowest round of his career to open his senior season, firing a 72 to finish at +1 for a third-place tie. He sunk three birdie putts and was just two strokes back of the leader.
- Damon Gnewikow (Warrens, Wis.) posted a 76 (+5) in his first round of the year, tying for 18th overall.
- Stephen Bukielski (Schaumburg, Ill.) finished one shot behind Gnewikow with a 77 in his first round for the Warriors.
- Ben Landvatter (Watertown, Wis.) and Quinn Schultz (Chaseburg, Wis.) rounded out the WLC lineup with an 81 and 83, respectively.
- Johnny Kositzky Jr. (Escanaba, Mich.) paced the Warriors' second team with a career-low 74 (+3) and tied for eighth overall. The sophomore eagled his first hole and added a pair of birdie putts.
- Grant Hammer (Germantown Hills, Ill.) also recorded a 78 in his collegiate debut.
- Wisconsin Lutheran's third-place 306 is its highest finish at the Culver's-Edgewood Fall Invitational since 2015 when it placed second overall.
FOR THE FOES
- Webster topped the 20-team field with a team score of 296, clipping Carthage by three shots. The Gorloks' Brian Morris earned medalist honors with a one-under 70.
- Wisconsin Lutheran is back on the course Tuesday for the 36-hole Aurora Fall Collegiate Invitational at Blackberry Oaks Golf Course in Bristol, Illinois. The shotgun start begins at 8:00 a.m.