MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The visiting Marian Sabres out-scored the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team 39-22 in the second half en route to a 67-61 victory over the Warriors inside the Recreation Complex Tuesday night. After leading by as many as 14 points in the first half, WLC was held to just 21.4 percent shooting from the floor in the second half.
- Final Score: Marian 67, Wisconsin Lutheran 61
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-16, 6-12 NACC), Marian (11-11, 10-7 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams traded blows in the opening minutes of the game, with the Warriors holding a 9-6 lead with 14:24 remaining in the first half.
- WLC used a 9-0 run over the following five minutes to take a 20-12 lead with just under 10 minutes to play in the first half.
- Mack Knueppel (Jackson, WIs.) buried a triple from the wing to push Wisconsin Lutheran's lead to 11, forcing Marian to take a timeout with 8:31 on the clock.
- The Warriors used a 15-0 run to turn a one-point deficit into a game-high 14-point lead at 26-12.
- The Warriors entered the half holding a 39-28 lead, powered by 10 points from Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) and eight from Knueppel.
- Marian opened the second half on a 7-2 run, cutting the Warriors lead to just six points with 14:45 remaining in the second half.
- Colin Biesterfeld (West Bend, Wis.) scored four straight points to put WLC back ahead by 10, but the Sabres responded with seven straight points to cut the WLC lead to three, forcing the Warriors into a timeout with 11:47 showing on the clock.
- Marian took its first lead of the second half after a layup, but Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis.) converted a three-point play at the 10:20 mark to put WLC back ahead 48-46.
- Christian Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) converted a three-point play of his own to give the Warriors a 53-48 lead with 7:30 on the clock, but the Sabres fought back and tied the contest at 53-53 with six minutes remaining.
- Two free throws from Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis.) put WLC ahead 60-59 with just under three minutes remaining, but Marian answered with a dunk on the other end and two free throws to take a 63-60 lead with 57.0 seconds left in regulation.
- The Sabres converted six free throws in the remaining seconds of the contest to secure the 67-61 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kennedy led the way for WLC with 15 points and eight rebounds.
- Nowak added nine points with Knueppel and Christian Kennedy chipping in eight.
- Caleb Goldstein (Fond du Lac, Wis.) dished out three assists and added eight points.
- The Warriors shot 33.9 percent (20-of-59) from the field, their second-lowest of the season, and knocked down 81.0 percent (17-of-21) of their free-throw attempts.
- WLC controlled the backboards, out-rebounding the visitors 42-32 and scored 17 points off of 13 Sabres turnovers.
FOR THE FOES
- Alex Manhardt led Marian with 22 points and 11 rebounds while Evan Hansen added 12 points.
- Tyrese Pinson chipped in 10 points and four assists for the visitors.
- The Sabres shot 43.9 percent (25-of-57) from the field and forced 17 WLC turnovers.
- Marian out-scored the Warriors 36-22 in the paint.
- The Warriors face a quick turnaround when they host Maranatha in their final non-conference contest Thursday night. The Sabercats (10-11) fell to Lincoln Christian Tuesday by a score of 77-72. Live stats and video for the matchup will be available at WLCSports.com