ROCKFORD, Ill. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team dropped a 100-77 decision to the Rockford Regents Saturday afternoon inside the Seaver Center. After trailing by just four points at halftime, the Warriors were out-scored 59-40 in the second half after the hosts shot a blistering 64.9 percent over the final 20 minutes.
- Final Score: Rockford 100, Wisconsin Lutheran 77
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-12, 2-8 NACC), Rockford (7-9, 5-6 NACC)
- Location: Seaver Center, Rockford, Ill.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors came out of the gates hot, connecting on nine of their first 14 shots and held a 24-18 lead with 10:32 remaining in the first half. Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) recorded eight of those points, highlighted by a three-point play.
- The Regents answered with a 12-0 run over the next four minutes to take a 30-24 lead with 6:47 showing on the clock.
- Two free throws from Kennedy stopped the bleeding for WLC, cutting the Rockford lead to four points, before Caleb Goldstein (Fond du Lac, Wis.) connected on a three-pointer that brought the Warriors within a point with just under six minutes left in the opening half.
- Both teams struggled to find a basket for the next three minutes, but the Regents used a 7-0 swing to push their lead to eight points with 1:30 remaining in the half.
- Kennedy converted a layup and then Matty Farner (Muskego, Wis.) collected an offensive rebound and his layup beat the halftime buzzer to bring the Warriors within four points heading into the locker room.
- The two teams traded baskets in the opening minutes of the second half, and Rockford maintained 54-49 lead with 15 minutes to play in the contest.
- The Regents pushed their lead to 11 with just over 10 minutes left in the second half after connecting on a jump shot and then taking advantage of a WLC turnover with a three-pointer on the other end of the floor.
- The hosts used a 6-0 run in less than 30 seconds to increase their advantage to 19 points with six minutes remaining, but the Warriors fought back with six straight points off their own, powered by a triple from Mack Knueppel (Jackson, Wis.) to bring WLC within 13 with 5:16 to play.
- Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis.) connected on jumpers on the following possessions, but Rockford answered with a three-pointer and a fast break layup to keep its lead at 16 with just over three minutes remaining.
- The hosts out-scored Wisconsin Lutheran 11-3 over the final three minutes of the contest to earn the 100-77 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kenendy led the offensive attack for WLC with 21 points, seven rebounds, and four assists. It marked the 10th time this season that Kennedy has registered 20+ points in a game.
- De Young followed with 15 points and six rebounds, while Knueppel added 14 points. Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis.) finished with 10.
- The Warriors shot 49.2 percent (29-of-59) from the field, marking the sixth straight game shooting above 40 percent.
- Wisconsin Lutheran made four of 15 three-pointers, its third lowest total of the season.
- WLC collected 10 offensive rebounds, but was out-rebounded 34-30. It was the 12th time this season the Warriors had at least 10 offensive boards in a game.
FOR THE FOES
- Brandon Emerick led the Regents with a game-high 24 points, including six three-point baskets.
- Tony Diemer added 20 points while Trae Blumhorst chipped in 17 points and eight rebounds.
- The hosts shot a blistering 62.1 percent (41-of-66) from the field and forced 17 WLC turnovers.
- Rockford dished out 26 assists in the contest and out-scored the Warriors 58-40 in the paint.
- Wisconsin Lutheran returns to the Recreation Complex to take on Aurora (9-7, 8-3 NACC) Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. The Spartans have won three straight and are tied for second place in the NACC standings. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.