FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team saw a double-digit second-half lead disappear as it dropped a NACC road contest, 92-89, in overtime against Marian Tuesday night inside Sadoff Gymnasium. The Warriors dropped their second overtime game of the season, as the Sabres scored 31 points off of WLC's season-high 23 turnovers.
- Final Score: Marian 92, Wisconsin Lutheran 89 (OT)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-11, 2-7 NACC), Marian (7-7, 6-3 NACC)
- Location: Sadoff Gymnasium, Fond du Lac, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis.) scored four straight points for the Warriors to knot the game up at 9-9 with 16:44 remaining in the opening half.
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) connected on a triple to give WLC a 21-19 advantage with 13:21 left in the first.
- The hosts stormed back to take a 27-23 lead with just over 10 minutes remaining, forcing the Warriors to call a timeout.
- Wisconsin Lutheran's defense held the Sabres to just two points in a four-minute span as WLC saw its lead grow to 37-33 late in the first half.
- WLC's final nine points of the first half came from the charity stripe as the Warriors held a 44-41 lead going into halftime.
- Collin Kennedy led all scorers with 13 points in the opening half, while De Young added nine and Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis.) had eight.
- The Warriors shot 52.6 percent from the floor in the opening half and connected on 20 free throws.
- Marian shot 48.6 percent from the field in the opening 20 minutes of action.
- A three-pointer from De Young and an old fashioned three-point play from Mack Knueppel (Jackson, Wis.) gave WLC a 50-41 lead right out of the gate in the second half.
- MU trimmed the lead down to five, but Nowak's layup with 15:35 left in regulation pushed WLC's lead to double digits, 57-47.
- Christian Kennedy's (Holmen, Wis.) layup gave Wisconsin Lutheran a nine-point lead, 66-57.
- Marian's defense kept the hosts in the game, as they held WLC to just two points in a six-minute span as MU grabbed the lead with 5:41 left in regulation, 72-68.
- The Sabres' lead grew to as many as six with under three minutes left, but Collin Kennedy and Nowak combined for seven straight points to give WLC a 77-76 lead with 1:19 left.
- Marian had a pair of opportunities to win the game down the stretch, but a contested layup and following jumper came up short as the game remained even after 40 minutes of play.
- Overtime started with back-and-forth action that saw the Warriors hold an 81-79 lead with 3:24 left.
- Nowak's midrange jumper gave WLC an 85-84 lead with just under two minutes remaining.
- Momentum changed hands after Marian's Tyrese Pinson made two free throws and Kelvin Jones stole the ensuing inbound pass and made two more from the charity stripe to give the hosts an 88-85 advantage with 1:27 remaining on the clock.
- The Warriors cut the lead to one, but Marian converted free throws late to complete the conference victory..
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Collin Kennedy led all scorers with 24 points and added seven rebounds.
- Nowak finished with 23 points, four boards, five assists, and three steals.
- De Young recorded a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds in the contest.
- WLC shot 45.8 percent (27-of-59) in the contest and 76.3 percent (29-of-38) from the charity stripe.
- The Warriors controlled the glass, out-rebounding the hosts, 46-32.
FOR THE FOES
- Jones led the hosts with 21 points, five rebounds, six assists, and three steals.
- Evan Hansen added 16 points, while Pinson and Alex Manhardt each added 10 points in the scoring column.
- Marian shot 48.6 percent (34-of-70) from the floor.
- MU's bench contributed 32 points and the Sabres out-scored WLC 46-26 on points in the paint.
- The Sabres forced 23 turnovers, which they converted into 31 points.
- The Warriors face a quick turnaround when they travel to River Forest to take on Dominican (4-9, 2-7 NACC) Thursday night inside the Igini Sports Forum. The Stars won the first matchup of the season December 2 in Milwaukee, 79-71. Live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.