ANGOLA, Ind. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team overcame an 11-point halftime deficit to tie the game with nine minutes left, but was out-scored 26-13 over the final seven minutes of play en route to an 86-73 loss to Adrian Saturday afternoon at the St. Andrews Products Classic hosted by Trine.
- Final Score: Adrian 86, Wisconsin Lutheran 73
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-7), Adrian (5-2)
- Location: Hershey Hall, Angola, Ind.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bulldogs jumped out to an early 9-0 lead as the Warriors were held without a point for the first 5:11 of the game.
- Following a WLC timeout, the Green and White used a quick 5-0 spurt to trim the deficit 15-13 and forced AC to call a timeout.
- Adrian closed out the half on a 14-6 run to take a 35-24 lead into the locker room.
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) led the Warriors with 13 points in the first half and had five of WLC's nine field goals in the opening 20 minutes.
- Wisconsin Lutheran struggled from the field in the opening 20 minutes, shooting just 26.5 percent from the floor and 16.7 percent from behind the arc.
- The Bulldogs saw their lead grow to as many as 12 in the early goings of the second half before WLC began to chip away.
- Kennedy scored eight straight points and Mack Knueppel (Jackson, Wis.) drained a three-pointer to bring the Warriors within a single point with 14:15 remaining in regulation.
- Wisconsin Lutheran kept it close and finally knotted the game up at 52-52 on a three-point basket from Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis.).
- After a few minutes of back-and-forth action, AC took a 62-60 lead and never relinquished it over the final 5:54.
- Adrian's 9-0 run in just over a minute broke the game open for the Bulldogs.
- Nowak cut the lead down to eight with a minute-and-a-half left, but free throws sealed the game for AC.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kennedy led WLC with a near double-double, finishing with 28 points and nine rebounds
- Knueppel added a career-high 18 points off the Warriors' bench and also grabbed nine boards.
- Nowak also reached double-digits with 10 points.
- WLC shot 37.5 percent (24-of-64) from the field and converted 85.7 percent (18-of-21) of its free throw attempts.
- Wisconsin Lutheran controlled the boards, out-rebounding AC 41-30 in the contest.
- Led by Kennedy and Knueppel, WLC's bench held a 55-9 advantage in points over Adrian's.
FOR THE FOES
- Justin Webster led four Bulldogs in double-figures with 28 points while grabbing 12 rebounds.
- Tre'Shon Heard added 19 points and seven rebounds.
- Jordan Harris had 14 points and a team-high four rebounds, while Sam Colbert contributed 10 points.
- Adrian connected on 53.6 percent (30-of-56) of its shots from the field.
- The Bulldogs held a 20-0 advantage in points off turnovers and a 44-24 advantage in the paint.
- The Warriors return to NACC action when they travel to Lisle, Illinois, to take on defending NACC champion Benedictine (4-3, 4-0 NACC) next Saturday afternoon. Tip-off is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.