PLYMOUTH, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – Lakeland used a 17-3 run in the middle of the first half to erase a seven-point deficit and take control as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team dropped a 95-79 NACC decision to the Muskies on the road Wednesday night inside Woltzen Gymnasium. It was the first game for head coach Aaron Aanonsen against his former team after having coached the Muskies for nine seasons.
- Final Score: Lakeland 95, Wisconsin Lutheran 79
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-5, 1-3 NACC), Lakeland (5-2, 3-2 NACC)
- Location: Woltzen Gymnasium, Plymouth, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis.) had four early points as WLC jumped out to a 9-3 lead.
- Lakeland was forced to burn a timeout after a Nowak layup on a full court assist from Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) gave Wisconsin Lutheran a 19-12 lead, its largest of the game.
- The Muskies raced back to take their first lead of the game at 23-22 with 10:56 remaining in the opening half.
- After a few minutes of back-and-forth action, LU saw its lead jump to 35-27 with just under eight minutes left on the clock.
- Lakeland saw its lead grow to as many as 14 in the first half, but the Warriors chipped away and cut the lead to just six following a Christian Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) triple.
- A Muskies three-pointer with seven seconds left gave the hosts a 54-46 lead going into the locker room.
- Collin Kennedy led the Warriors at the break with 16 points, and Nowak added 12 to the scoring column.
- The Green and White shot an even 50 percent from both the floor and from behind the arc in the first 20 minutes of action, while LU show 45.9 percent but connected on nine three's and 11 free throws.
- The Warriors kept the score close and cut the lead to just three points with 13:27 left in regulation on a Colin Biesterfeld (West Bend, Wis.) three-pointer.
- Wisconsin Lutheran called a timeout at the 7:13 mark as LU had an eight-point lead.
- A pair of Collin Kennedy free throws trimmed the hosts lead to just four with four minutes to play.
- Lakeland broke the game open with a 14-4 run to give itself a 91-77 lead late.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy led all scorers with 28 points and grabbed a team-high 12 boards for his third double-double of the season.
- Nowak added 18, while Christian Kennedy contributed 11.
- WLC shot 42.2 percent (27-of-64) for the game.
- Wisconsin Lutheran struggled from behind the arc, connecting on just 4-of-13 attempts.
FOR THE FOES
- Five Muskies reached double-figures, led by 19 from Carlos Campos and 18 from Zach Hasenstein.
- LU shot 46.5 percent (33-of-71) from the field in the matchup. Lakeland made 13 three-pointers and shot 41.9 percent from beyond the arc.
- Lakeland converted 14 turnovers into 20 points, while only committing 11 turnovers themselves for four Warriors points.
- The Muskies bench out-scored Wisconsin Lutheran's 29-13 in the contest.
- The Warriors take a break from conference action to travel to Angola, Indiana for the St. Andrews Products Classic. WLC opens action Friday as it takes on host Trine (2-4) at 6:00 p.m. The Thunder are coming off an impressive 103-67 victory against Great Lakes Christian Monday night. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.