MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team suffered a 91-78 setback in its NACC opener to Rockford Saturday afternoon inside the Recreation Center. The Regents shot a blistering 49.3 percent (37-of-75) from the field and connected on 46.7 percent (7-of-15) of their shots from behind the three-point line.
- Final Score: Rockford 91, Wisconsin Lutheran 78
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-3, 0-1 NACC), Rockford (3-2, 1-0 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Regents jumped out to a 14-7 lead early in the first half, forcing WLC into a timeout.
- Rockford controlled the pace of the game, maintaining a 22-11 lead with under 11 minutes to play in the first half.
- Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis.) went on a personal 6-0 run to cut the Rockford lead to just five points with eight minutes to play.
- The Regents connected on a three-pointer to push their lead to nine with 4:44 left in the half.
- Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis.) connected from beyond the arc and Caleb Goldstein (Milwaukee, Wis.) converted two free throws to bring WLC within four points.
- Rockford hit a corner three as time expired in the first half to take a 48-40 lead into the locker room.
- In the first half, the Regents shot 52.8 percent from the floor and dished out 13 assists, while only committing four turnovers.
- Christian Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) opened the WLC scoring in the second half, connecting on a triple and Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) buried a mid-range jumper to bring the Warriors within five.
- Kennedy scored again on two consecutive possessions to cut the Rockford lead to just two points at 52-50 with 17 minutes to play.
- Kennedy continued his hot shooting, this time connecting on a mid-range jumper to bring WLC within five.
- The Regents extended their lead to 12 on a three-point play with just over five minutes remaining, then scored on two straight possessions to push their lead to a game-high 16 points with four minutes to play.
- Kennedy and Nowak scored in the final minute, but the Regents held on for the 91-78 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kennedy led the offensive charge for the Warriors, scoring a career-best 34 points, with 28 coming in the second half.
- Nowak handled the offensive load in the first half, scoring 16 of his 18 total points in the first period.
- De Young led the Warriors with 12 rebounds and chipped in nine points.
- WLC shot 40.0 percent (24-of-60) from the floor, while converting 42.9 percent (6-of-14) from beyond the arc.
- The Warriors shot 24-for-32 from the free throw line in the contest, including a flawless 12-for-12 in the first half.
FOR THE FOES
- Tony Diemer and Will Adams led the balanced attack for Rockford with 18 points apiece.
- Taylor Krocker and Kevin Diemer rounded out the Regents scorers in double figures with 15 and 11 points, respectively.
- Diemer and Trae Blumhorst each pulled down nine rebounds in the contest, while Blumhorst dished out seven assists.
- The Regents dished out 20 assists in the contest, while forcing 13 turnovers.
- Rockford held a 44-37 advantage on the backboards, including 16 offensive rebounds.
- RU out-scored WLC on points off turnovers, second-chance points, points in the paint, and bench points.
- The Warriors continue NACC play Tuesday when they host Concordia Chicago (1-2, 0-1 NACC) inside the Recreation Complex. WLC defeated the Cougars twice a season ago, with Collin Kennedy averaging 24.5 points and 11.5 rebounds in the two victories. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. with live stats and video available at WLCSports.com.