APPLETON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team shot just 30.3 percent in the second half and was out-scored 41-29 as it dropped its season opener, 82-76, against Lawrence Wednesday night inside Alexander Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Lawrence 82, Wisconsin Lutheran 76
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1), Lawrence (1-0)
- Location: Alexander Gymnasium, Appleton, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After both teams struggled to find a rhythm offensively early on, the Warriors used a 13-0 run to take a 21-10 lead with under 12 minutes left in the opening half.
- The Vikings battled back to cut the deficit to three with 3:48 remaining, but back-to-back layups by Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) pushed WLC's lead back to seven.
- Wisconsin Lutheran held the lead for the final 14:42 in the opening half, including a game-high 12 with 8:33 on the clock, and carried a 47-41 lead into the locker room at halftime.
- Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis.) led the way for WLC with 14 points at intermission, while Kennedy added 12 to the cause. The Warriors shot 50 percent from the floor in the first 20 minutes and converted 9-for-10 free throw attempts.
- The Vikings re-gained the lead at 50-49 with 16:42 left in regulation and used an 8-0 run to open a double-digit lead, 67-57.
- After a Kennedy free throw, the Warriors cut the hosts' lead to just five with just under five minutes remaining on the clock.
- The Green and White trimmed the Vikings' lead to four with 0:48 seconds left, but the Warriors could not capitalize on a pair of missed free throws as LU took the season opener by the six-point margin.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Nowak led all scorers in the game with 21 points while adding eight rebounds and four steals.
- Kennedy contributed 17, and Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis.) added 14 points and eight boards for the Warriors.
- Mack Knueppel (Jackson, Wis.) added 10 points off the bench for Wisconsin Lutheran.
- WLC shot 40.3 percent from the field and 73.9 percent from the charity stripe.
- The Warriors forced LU into 18 turnovers in the contest which they converted into 20 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Five Vikings reached double-figures, paced by 19 points from Quinn Fischer and 14 from Jeremy Stephani.
- Evan McLauglin added 11 points, while Ben Peterson posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 boards.
- LU controlled the paint, out-scoring WLC 38-26 inside.
- Lawrence shot 49.2 percent from the field, while forcing 15 turnovers.
- The Vikings snapped a two-game losing streak against the Warriors.
- The Warriors have off until their home opener next Wednesday when they host Ripon (0-0) in a non-conference matchup. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. inside the Recreation Complex. The Red Hawks defeated the Warriors 82-73 last season and tip-off the season Saturday hosting Edgewood. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.