MADISON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) knocked down the game-winning three-pointer with 1.6 seconds left to send the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team to a thrilling 79-77 win over Edgewood on Wednesday at the Todd Wehr Edgedome in a game that featured 10 ties and 26 lead changes. It was Schieve's sixth game-clinching basket in less than two seasons for the Warriors.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 79, Edgewood 77
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-4, 5-2 NACC), Edgewood (2-9, 2-4 NACC)
- Location: Todd Wehr Edgedome, Madison, Wis. | Attendance: 172
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team held more than a five-point lead in a back-and-forth first half, which consisted of six ties and 15 lead changes. The Warriors held their largest lead of 21-17 at the 10:20 mark, while the Eagles answered with a five-point cushion with 3:12 left before halftime.
- Edgewood carried a slim 40-37 lead into halftime after shooting 53.3 percent (16-for-30) in the first half. The Eagles were paced by Spencer Barnes' 11 points. Wisconsin Lutheran shot 44.1 percent (15-for-34) and was led by Schieve's 12 first-half points.
- The Eagles opened up a game-high seven-point lead at the 15:16 mark of the second half and held the same margin two more times later in the half.
- The Warriors grabbed their first lead of the half at 65-64 on a Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) three-pointer with 8:51 left. It was one of four three-pointers for Nowak in the half.
- The lead changed hands nine times from that point on until the Warriors' final possession of the game with 0:14 seconds left that saw them trailing by one point, 77-76.
- After Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) missed a jumper with 0:07 seconds left, he was able to scramble for the loose rebound and find an open Schieve on the left wing who proceeded to bury a three-pointer a few feet beyond the arc with 1.6 seconds left.
- Edgewood's ensuing inbounds pass was batted down on the baseline by Grant Beck (Union Grove, Wis./Union Grove) and time expired.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Nowak finished with a career-high 23 points to lead three players in double-figures. He went 5-for-6 from three-point range and scored 18 points in the second half. Schieve poured in 21 points and dished out seven assists, while Collin Kennedy posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) added nine points and seven boards, with Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) chipping in seven points off the bench.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 44.1 percent (30-for-68) from the floor, while Edgewood went for an even better 49.1 percent (28-for-57).
- The Warriors tied a season-low with six turnovers and controlled points off turnovers (14-5), second-chance points (16-9), and points in the paint (36-24).
- Spencer Barnes paced three Eagles in double-figures with 19 points.
- The Warriors return home on Saturday for the first time since December 10 when they play host to 16th-ranked and conference-leading Benedictine (9-3, 7-0 NACC) at 4:15 p.m. The Eagles defeated Dominican, 88-82, on Wednesday. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.