ROCKFORD, Ill. (WLCSports.com) – Rockford's Zach Wallace missed the game-tying free throw with 0.3 seconds left and the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team escaped the Seaver Center with a 94-93 win over the Regents on Saturday afternoon in a NACC contest that featured 12 ties and 23 lead changes.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 94, Rockford 93
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-2, 4-0 NACC), Rockford (3-8, 2-4 NACC)
- Location: Seaver Center, Rockford, Ill. | Attendance: 97
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team held more than a five-point lead in the first half, which featured six ties and 15 lead changes.
- WLC never trailed by more than four points and had a lead of as many as five in the first half before clinging to a one-point halftime lead following Christian Kennedy's (Holmen, Wis./Luther) buzzer-beating three-pointer.
- The Warriors shot an even 50 percent (18-for-36) in the first half as Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) and Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) netted 14 and 11 points, respectively. Christian Kennedy recorded all nine of his points in the first half on a trio of three pointers.
- Rockford finished at 48.4 percent (15-folr-31) shooting in the first half and was paced by Zach Wallace's 14 points.
- The Regents held the lead for much of the second half, leading by a game-high nine points with 12:30 left to play. The Warriors held the lead for a total of just 2:06 of the first 17:17 of the second period.
- Trailing by seven points with 4:20 remaining, Wisconsin Lutheran used a 9-0 run to take a brief two-point lead at 87-85.
- After three ties in the next 1:37, Schieve put the Warriors up for good with a short jumper for a 94-92 lead with just :08 seconds left.
- Rockford's Zach Wallace was fouled on the Regents' final possession and went to the line with just :0.3 seconds left. Wallace made his first attempt, but the second was no good and the final horn sounded as the teams battled for the rebound.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) led all scorers with 29 points to go along with a team-high eight rebounds. Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) added 20 points, including 16 in the second half. Schieve totaled a double-double with 17 points and a career-best 12 assists.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot a season-best 47.1 percent (33-for-70) from the floor and 90.5 percent (19-for-21) from the charity stripe for the game. The Warriors also dished out a seaasn-high 26 assists and turned the ball over just six times, a season low.
- WLC's 94 points scored are its most since scoring the same amount on February 13, 2014 vs. Maranatha.
- Zach Wallace led four Regents players in double figures with 25 points and 16 rebounds.
- The Warriors are off to a 4-0 start in conference play for the first time since the 2004-2005 season when they started LMC play 5-0 that season.
- The Warriors play one more game before their Christmas break, traveling to MSOE (2-5, 1-3 NACC) next Thursday for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off. The Raiders last defeated Maranatha on Tuesday, 61-49. Live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.