MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team used a 14-0 run midway through the second half to break open a tie game and send the Warriors to an 85-63 win over Concordia Chicago on Saturday afternoon at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 85, Concordia Chicago 63
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-2, 3-0 NACC), Concordia Chicago (1-6, 0-4 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 170
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors came out strong, opening up a 14-2 lead with just 4:19 gone by in the first half.
- Although never leading in the first half, the Cougars closed to within just two points at 18-16 with under 10 minutes left.
- A 7-0 run from the Warriors brought their lead back up to double digits with under four minutes left until halftime.
- The Cougars closed out the opening 20 minutes with a 7-0 run of their own and trailed by just four points, 41-37, at halftime.
- Both teams shot the ball well in the opening half, as WLC shot 50.0 percent from the field and 41.7 percent from three, while CUC shot 52.0 percent from the field and 55.6 percent from long distance.
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) led the Warriors with 12 points in the first half and Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) added nine. Mitch Pelissier paced the Cougars also with 12 points.
- The contest went back-and-forth for most of the second half, as the Cougars tied the score at 51-51 with 12:28 remaining.
- Wisconsin Lutheran finally broke the game open with a 14-0 run that concluded with 8:23 left.
- The Cougars closed to within 11 points at the 7:17 mark, but the Warriors were able to maintain a lead of at least 20 points over the final 3:53 of the game en route to their third straight victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy paced the Warriors with 21 points. Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) and Nowak also added 16 and 14, respectively. Both Kennedy and De Young grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds for a pair of double-doubles.
- Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) dished out 11 of the team's 20 assists. He narrowly missed out on a double-double, finishing with nine points.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 44.6 percent (29-for-65) for the game, while Concordia Chicago shot 42.6 percent (23-for-54).
- The Warriors out-rebounded the Cougars 46-25 and owned an 18-4 margin in second-chance points.
- WLC reached season highs in points (85), rebounds (46), assists (20), and three-point percentage (47.4).
- Mitch Pelissier finished with a game-high 23 points and was the lone Cougar to reach double-figures in the contest.
- The Warriors will next travel to play Rockford (2-7, 2-3 NACC) for the second time in two weeks next Saturday at 4:15 p.m. The Regents are coming off a 98-96 double-overtime victory over Marian on Saturday. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.