MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) scored a game-high 27 points and Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) added 19 to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team to a 76-62 win over Rockford on Saturday at the Recreation Complex. The Warriors' 4-2 start is their best through six games since the 2007-2008 season.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 76, Rockford 62
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-2, 2-0 NACC), Rockford (0-6, 0-3 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 216
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors erased an early 4-0 deficit with a 12-4 scoring run for a four-point lead at the 15:51 mark.
- After the Regents came within four points again at 24-20, an 8-0 Warriors run gave them their largest lead of the first half at the 6:57 mark.
- Rockford got as close as five points before the Warriors netted the final four points of the first half for a 41-32 halftime lead.
- Both teams shot the ball well in the opening stanza, as WLC shot 48.6 percent and RU went for an even better 51.9 percent.
- Despite the even shooting percentages, the Warriors out-scored the Regents 16-2 in points off turnovers in the first half. Collin Kennedy scored 17 of his 27 points and Nowak had 14 of his 19 in the opening half.
- A 7-0 scoring run from the Warriors brought their lead up to a game-high 19 points at 59-40 with 13:52 left in the second half.
- Rockford came within 11 points, 69-58, at the 5:52 mark but WLC extended its lead back to 16 points and that lead proved too much for the visiting Regents to overcome.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy and Nowak were the two Warriors to reach double figures in the win. Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) netted seven points off the bench. Both Kennedy and Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) grabbed eight rebounds.
- Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) dished out nine of the team's 18 assists.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 46.3 percent (31-for-67) for the game, while Rockford finished with a similar 45.5 percent (25-for-55).
- The Warriors out-scored the Regents 25-8 in points off turnovers and 12-0 in fast break points.
- Tony Diemer scored 20 points and corralled seven rebounds to pace the Regents.
- The Warriors, who will play just two games over the next two weeks, have a week off before hosting Concordia Chicago (1-5, 0-3 NACC) next Saturday at 4:15 p.m. The Cougars suffered an 85-75 loss to Edgewood on Saturday. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.