MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Senior Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) made the go-ahead free throw with 5.1 seconds left and the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team overcame a 12-point deficit and 21 turnovers to edge Marian, 66-65, on Wednesday night in the Warriors' NACC opener at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 66, Marian 65
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-2, 1-0 NACC), Marian (0-6, 0-2 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 249
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors started the game with a 6-0 lead, their largest of the game, only to see the Sabres answer with a 12-2 run to grab a four-point lead. WLC jumped back ahead by five points at 21-16 on a Mack Knueppel (Jackson, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) three-pointer at the 7:07 mark.
- The five-point WLC lead would be its last lead until the final minutes of the second half, as Marian rattled off a 17-0 scoring run for a 12-point lead with 2:43 left in the first half. Four straight points from the Warriors trimmed their deficit to eight points, 33-25, at halftime.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot just 29 percent in the first half and committed 13 of its 21 turnovers. The Sabres shot 36.4 percent and were led by Will Polczynski's 13 points. No Warriors played reached double-figure scoring in the first half.
- After the Warriors scored the first four points of the second half, the Sabres pushed their lead back up to nine points, their largest of the second half. WLC tied the score at 46-46 with 11:13 left on the clock, the first of six second-half ties.
- Wisconsin Lutheran found itself down by six points on two different occasions, but battled back and eventually took its first lead since more than midway through the first half, 65-64, on a Schieve layup. Marian tied the game three possessions later by making one of two free throws.
- The Warriors had the ball with 0:35 seconds left, but missed two chances for the game-winning bucket. Fortunately, WLC grabbed two offensive rebounds on the possession and Schieve drew a foul on the second rebound.
- He made the first of his two attempts and the Sabres' running three-pointer was no good as time expired.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Sophomore Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) netted a game-high 24 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead the Warriors, while Schieve finished with 14 points, six assists, and three steals. Sophomore Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) also pulled down seven boards.
- Knueppel provided seven points, six rebounds, three steals, and two assists off the Warriors' bench.
- The Warriors shot a much-improved 45.5 percent in the second half to finish at 37.5 percent for the game. The Sabres were held to 35.5 percent shooting in the contest.
- Wisconsin Lutheran made 12 of its 14 free throw attempts, including 8-of-10 in the second half.
- WLC out-rebounded MU 45-38 and out-scored the visitors 19-6 in bench points.
- The Sabres controlled points off turnovers (23-13), second-chance points (14-7), and points in the paint (36-28).
- Polczynski finished with 19 points to lead four Marian players in double-figures.
- The Warriors remain home on Saturday when they host Rockford (0-5, 0-2 NACC) at 4:15 p.m. in the second game of a NACC doubleheader. The Regents suffered a 96-65 loss to 14th-ranked and conference preseason favorite Benedictine on Wednesday. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.