La Verne, Calif. (WLCSports.com) – La Verne's Hakim Arnold scored 29 points and grabbed 16 rebounds as the host Leopards overcame an 11-point first-half deficit to defeat the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team, 84-72, on Sunday afternoon inside the Sports Pavilion.
- Final Score: La Verne 84, Wisconsin Lutheran 72
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-2), La Verne (2-0)
- Location: Sports Pavilion, La Verne, Calif.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors opened the game with a 16-6 advantage and held an 11-point lead with just over 12 minutes left in the opening half.
- Wisconsin Lutheran took a 35-25 lead with four minutes left in the first half before La Verne went on a 7-2 run to bring the halftime score to 37-33 in favor of the Warriors.
- WLC was 17-of-37 from the field shooting 45.9 percent while forcing the Leopards to just 10-of-40 shooting for 25 percent in the opening half.
- The Leopards took their first lead of the game three minutes into the second half following a made three pointer by Anthony White that put La Verne ahead 41-39.
- The Warriors would get to within one point twice shortly after in the second half, but La Verne would not trail again in the game as it stretched its lead to as high as 16 points.
- La Verne used a 15-5 run late in the second half to extend its lead to the largest of the game with an 80-64 advantage.
- ULV shot 62.5 percent in the second half while holding the Warriors to just 37.8 percent.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) finished with a team-high 26 points and nine rebounds to lead the Warriors.
- Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) added 14 points, eight rebounds, and five assists. Mack Knueppel (Jackson, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) came off the bench to score nine points on a trio of threes for Wisconsin Lutheran.
- A big difference in the game was the ability of La Verne to get to the free throw line, making 17-of-24 attempts, while the Warriors were just 6-of-10 from the charity stripe.
- Arnold scored a game-high 29 points and grabbed 16 rebounds for the Leopards, going 14-of-22 from the field. He was one of three ULV players to reach double-figures.
- Wisconsin Lutheran will be back at the Recreation Complex on Wednesday night when it opens NACC play against Marian (0-5, 0-1 NACC). Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. The Sabres lost on Saturday to UW-Eau Clarie, 79-49. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.