PASADENA, Calif. (WLCSports.com) – A jumper from Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) with 0:14 seconds left lifted the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team to a thrilling 64-63 win against Caltech to open its west coast trip on Saturday night.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 64, Caltech 63
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-1), Caltech (0-3)
- Location: Braun Athletic Center, Pasadena, Calif.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The hosts jumped out of the gate quickly and held a 10-point lead at 19-9 with just over 14 minutes left in the opening half.
- The Warriors stormed back to tie the score at 23-23, but Caltech never trailed after that in the opening half and carried a 40-34 lead into halftime.
- WLC shot just 37.9 percent in the first half, compared to Caltech's 55.6 percent. Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) led the Warriors with 12 points, and Caltech's David LeBaron led all scorers with 18 on 7-of-11 shooting in the first 20 minutes of action.
- The Warriors erased their halftime deficit in no time due in part to an 11-0 run at the start of the second half.
- The game went back-and-forth throughout the second half, and Schieve gave the Warriors the late lead with just 0:14 seconds remaining on the clock.
- Caltech had a chance for the win or tie at the end as a WLC foul gave them two free throws with no time remaining on the clock, but a pair of missed free throws sealed the victory for the Warriors.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy finished with a game-high 21 points to lead WLC. Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) had eight points and Mack Knueppel (Jackson, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) posted 11 points to lead WLC's bench scoring.
- The Warriors ended up shooting 37.7 percent in the game, while Caltech shot 46.0 percent from the field.
- A big difference in the game was second chance points, as WLC held a 16-9 advantage.
- LeBaron led the hosts with 20 points, and Brent Cahill contributed 18 off the bench.
- Wisconsin Lutheran concludes its west coast trip Sunday afternoon against La Verne (1-0). Tip-off is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. CST. The Leopards last defeated Oglethorpe, 98-92, on Tuesday. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.