RIPON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - Ripon stormed out to a 21-4 lead in the first half and the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team couldn't quite recover as the Red Hawks defeated the Warriors 82-73 on Tuesday in non-conference action on Wyman Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Ripon 82, Wisconsin Lutheran 73
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-1), Ripon (1-0)
- Location: Wyman Gymnasium, Ripon, Wis. | Attendance: 397
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Red Hawks stormed out to a 21-4 lead over the Warriors at the 10:59 mark of the first half and later led by a first half-high 20 points on two different occasions.
- A 13-2 run by the Warriors brought them within nine points with 4:21 left before halftime, but the Red Hawks extended their lead back up to 18 points at halftime, 46-28.
- WLC shot just 31.4 percent in the first half, compared to Ripon's 53.6 percent. Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) netted 14 first-half points for WLC, and Ty Sabin poured in 16 for Ripon.
- The Warriors whittled their game-high 22-point deficit early in the second half down to just six points with 6:44 left in the game on a Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) three-pointer.
- Ripon followed with a 12-4 run to bring its lead back up to 14 points with 3:34 remaining and the Warriors could get no closer than seven points the rest of the way.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) went 11-for-14 from the floor in the second half to finish the game with 26 points, leading three Warriors in double figures. He also grabbed a game-high nine rebounds. Nowak finished with 16 and Walz chipped in 10.
- The Warriors ended up out-shooting the Red Hawks 44.1 percent to 43.6 percent for the game. WLC benefited from 57.6 percent (19-for-33) shooting in the second half.
- A big difference in the game was free throws, as the Warriors went 7-for-12 and the Red Hawks were 26-for-34 from the charity stripe.
- WLC held the advantage on points in the paint (34-33), second chance points (17-10), and bench points (16-9).
- Ty Sabin, a preseason First Team All-American, led all scorers with 33 points for Ripon, while also recording seven rebounds and five assists. Brendan McCoy added 19 points.
- Wisconsin Lutheran flies west to California this weekend for a pair of non-conference games against Caltech (0-2) and La Verne (1-0).