MILWAUKEE – Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) and Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) each scored 17 points to send the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team to a season-opening 76-68 victory over Lawrence on Wednesday night at the Recreation Complex. It was the Warriors' first season-opening victory since the 2011-2012 campaign.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 76, Lawrence 68
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-0), Lawrence (0-1)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 312
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams came out of the gate struggling from the field, but a Warriors' quick 7-0 run carried them to their largest lead at 29-20.
- LU answered in the final three minutes of the first half and went into the break with a 31-31 tie.
- The Warriors shot 34.4 percent from the field in the opening half, compared to LU's 40.6 percent.
- The second half went back-and-forth and was tied at 52-52 with eight minutes remaining in regulation.
- The Warriors' defense was tough and opened WLC lead to 61-54, a lead that it would never give up.
- A three-point basket from Quinn Fisher brought the Vikings within four points with 0:45 seconds left, but free throws from Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) and Kennedy put the game away for the Warriors.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kennedy and Schieve paved the way with 17 points each. Kennedy grabbed a game-high 11 boards to record a double-double.
- De Young finished one rebound shy of a double-double, ending with 13 points and nine boards.
- Schieve dished out six assists and Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) contributed 11 points off Wisconsin Lutheran's bench.
- WLC shot 36.1 percent (22-for-61) in the contest, and held the advantage from the charity stripe, shooting 28-for-35 from the line compared to the Vikings' 12-for-15.
- Wisconsin Lutheran converted 13 LU turnovers into 20 points, and only had eight turnovers of its own.
- LU was led by 16 points from Jeremy Stephani and 12 from Mitch Willer.
- The win by the Warriors was their second straight over Lawrence, after the Vikings controlled the series for eight straight years.
- WLC travels to Ripon (0-0) next Tuesday night for a 7:00 p.m. non-conference clash. The contest will be the first of the season for the Red Hawks, who defeated the Warriors 85-73 last season in Milwaukee. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.