MILWAUKEE – Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) led three players in double-figures with a game-high 19 points, but the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team shot a season-low 29 percent as fifth-seeded Marian defeated the fourth-seeded Warriors 71-65 Wednesday night in a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Men's Basketball Tournament First Round game at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Marian 71, Wisconsin Lutheran 65
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (13-13), Marian (14-12)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 383
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Marian got off to a quick 13-2 start over five minutes into the opening half and led 22-8 after 10 minutes of play. The Sabres' 14-point lead was their largest of the game. WLC never was able to grab the lead in the contest.
- Wisconsin Lutheran pulled to within five at 26-21 with 5:13 remaining in the first half.
- Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) drilled a three-pointer from just before half court at the buzzer as Marian carried a 37-29 advantage into halftime.
- The Sabres out-shot the Warriors 45.5 percent (15-for-33) to 29.0 percent (9-for-31). Collin Kennedy led Wisconsin Lutheran with 12 points in the first half.
- An 11-2 run by WLC cut the lead to 47-46 midway through the second half.
- Marian led 58-51 with 6:01 to play in the contest.
- WLC chipped away at the Sabres' advantage and a layup by Schieve pulled WLC to within three at 68-65 with 1:32 remaining.
- MU made its free-throw attempts down the stretch and held on for the 71-65 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy led the Warriors with a game-high 19 points. Scheive scored 15 and Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) also chipped in 15, going 12-for-14 from the free-throw line.
- Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds.
- The Warriors were out-shot by Marian 45.9 percent (28-for-61) to 29.7 percent (19-for-64) in the contest.
- WLC went 3-of-19 (15.8 percent) from beyond the arc but over 80 percent (24-for-29) from the charity stripe.
- Marian dominated points in the paint 42-24.
- The Sabres had four starters in double-figures led by Josh Creed's 16 points and 10 rebounds.
- The contest marked the final career game for seniors Jarnigo, Marose, and Alec Breazeale (Clackamas, Ore./Clackamas).
- The NACC Tournament contest was the Warriors' first home conference tournament game since 2008. WLC is now 2-7 all-time in NACC Tournament games.
- Wisconsin Lutheran finishes with at least a .500 record for the second-straight year.
- Marian advances to play at top-seeded Benedictine (25-0, 20-0 NACC) Friday in a semifinal matchup after the Eagles received a first-round bye.
- Sixth-seeded MSOE upset third-seeded Concordia Wisconsin 95-79 in the NACC's other first round matchup on Wednesday.