MILWAUKEE – Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) led three Warriors in double-figures with 20 points and the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team overcame a 16-point deficit in the second half to defeat Lakeland 77-74 on Wednesday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 77, Lakeland 74
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (12-12, 10-9 NACC), Lakeland (13-11, 9-10 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 231
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game started out back-and-forth and was tied at 10-10 early in the first half. Lakeland used an 8-0 run to lead 18-10 with 13:58 to play in the first period.
- The Muskies led 32-17 before an 8-2 spurt by Wisconsin Lutheran made it 34-25 with 7:17 remaining in the half.
- WLC went into the half trailing 44-33. Lakeland out-shot the Warriors 60.0 percent (18-for-30) to 40.7 percent (11-for-27). Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) and Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) led Wisconsin Lutheran with six points apiece.
- LC had its largest lead of the contest at 51-35 with 17:46 to go in the second half. An 8-3 WLC run cut the Muskies' lead to 54-45 with 15:12 remaining in the second half.
- Wisconsin Lutheran used a 17-7 run midway through the second half to take a 62-61 lead, its first since the opening minutes of the game.
- After the game was tied at 66-66, Nowak put the hosts back in front 68-66 with 4:31 remaining.
- Lakeland went back in front 72-70, but Nowak hit a three from the left corner with 1:35 left to give the Warriors a 73-72 lead.
- WLC made its free-throws down the stretch and was victorious 77-74 after the Muskies' late three sailed wide left.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Nowak led all scorers in the game with 20 points, going 4-for-6 from three. Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) contributed 17 points and Jarnigo chipped in 15 and five assists.
- Marose pulled down a game-high 12 rebounds and broke WLC's single season rebounding record with 236 on the season, surpassing Josh Metzger's previous record of 235. It was the senior center's 13th double-digit rebound game of the season.
- Wisconsin Lutheran out-rebounded Lakeland 38-25 and dominated second chance points 22-2 thanks to a +12 margin on the offensive glass.
- WLC shot 43.8 percent (28-for-64) for the game, while the Muskies shot 52.9 percent (27-for-51) from the floor.
- WLC converted 14 LC turnovers into 21 points.
- The Muskies were led by Brandon James' 18 points, with 14 points coming from Brandon Hagenow.
- WLC has sole possession of fourth place in the NACC and can clinch a home game in the first round of the NACC Tournament with a win on Saturday.
- Wisconsin Lutheran returns to the Recreation Complex on Saturday for Senior Day when it hosts Dominican (5-19, 3-16 NACC) at 2 p.m. In their first matchup of the season back on January 30 in River Forest, Ill., WLC defeated the Stars 76-73 on a last-second buzzer-beater. Dominican was defeated on Wednesday by Concordia Chicago, 90-85. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.