RIVER FOREST, Ill. - Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) drained a three-pointer at the buzzer to give the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team a thrilling 76-73 conference victory over Dominican on Saturday afternoon at the Igni Sports Forum.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 76, Dominican 73
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (9-10, 7-7 NACC), Dominican (4-14. 2-11 NACC)
- Location: Igni Sports Forum, River Forest, Ill. | Attendance: 105
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Stars started off the game hot and held their largest lead of the game at 21-11 with 8:59 remaining in the opening half.
- The Warriors wiped that away quickly with an 11-0 run of their own, capped off by a triple from Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) that gave them their first lead of the game at 22-21.
- The first half went back-and-forth down the stretch, but WLC went into the locker room holding a 29-27 lead. The Warriors out-shot Dominican in the opening 20 minutes of action, shooting 43.3 percent (13-for-30) compared to DU's 35.7 percent (10-for-28).
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) led the Warriors with 10 points at the break, with Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) adding eight of his own.
- WLC started to pull away at the beginning of the second half and held a 45-31 with 15:06 left in regulation after Nowak buried back-to-back three-pointers.
- The Warriors held onto a double-digit lead as late as the 5:46 mark and led by nine with under three minutes to play, but the Stars chipped away and closed the gap.
- Dominican's quick 10-2 run brought the game to a one-point lead for the Warriors with just :13 seconds to play.
- Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) converted on both free throws to push the lead to three with just :10 seconds left.
- DU's Rich Bodee drilled a three-pointer to tie the game up, but with :04 seconds still remaining, the Warriors pushed the ball up the floor quickly and still had time fo the final shot.
- Schieve beat the buzzer on a long three, capping off an exciting finish to give WLC a crucial NACC win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy led the Warriors with 24 points and collected five boards.
- Nowak added 18 points and six rebounds for WLC.
- WLC shot 45.2 percent (28-for-62) from the field in the matchup, while DU shot 46.3 percent (25-for-54) after a hot shooting second half (57.7 percent).
- WLC won the battle of points in the paint (40-28) and points off turnovers (22-12).
- The Stars were led by 18 points from Josh Mayberry and 16 from Tim Robertson.
- The Warriors remain on the road on Wednesday when they travel to cross-town rival MSOE (11-8, 8-6 NACC) with tip-off scheduled for 7 p.m. The Warriors won the first matchup of the season back on November 28, 81-63. The Raiders are coming off a convincing 75-60 win at Rockford on Saturday afternoon. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.