MILWAUKEE - Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) scored a game-high 28 points, his seventh consecutive 20-plus point game, to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team to a 76-74 win over Marian on Tuesday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 76, Marian 74
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-10, 6-7 NACC), Marian (9-10, 6-8 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 162
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams started the game off cold as the Warriors held a 6-2 lead with over six minutes gone by.
- WLC led 10-2 before Marian came back within a point at 11-10.
- The Warriors then went on an 11-3 run, including a breakaway dunk by Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) for a nine-point lead.
- Wisconsin Lutheran went into halftime in front 35-22.
- The Warriors held the Sabres to just 20.7 percent shooting in the first half, while the hosts shot 40.0 percent.
- Marian started off the second half strong, erasing WLC's 15-point lead, and tied the game at 50-50 with 8:48 left.
- The Sabres took their first lead of the game shortly after at 54-52, and a back-and-forth battle ensued.
- Trailing 60-57, WLC scored six of the next seven points, but not before the Sabres tied things up again at 63-63.
- The Warriors held the lead for the final 3:06 of the game, including by six points with :40 seconds left when Collin Kennedy nailed a huge three.
- MU answered right back with a three-pointer from Alex Stecker to keep the game at three points (73-70) with :34 seconds remaining.
- The Warriors missed three free throws in the final :16 seconds and the Sabres had one final chance trailing by two with six seconds left.
- Marian's Reggie Roemer turned the ball over driving down the lane as time expired and the Warriors hung on for the slim two-point win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy led the Warriors with a game-high 28 points. Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) finished with 15 points (14 in the second half) and five assists, while Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) had 14 boards and was just two points shy of a double-double.
- Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) chipped in nine points and six rebounds off the bench.
- The Warriors out-rebounded Marian 40-29 and owned a 19-2 advantage in second-chance points. WLC also was a 10-point favorite on points in the paint (34-24), but the Sabres out-scored the Warriors 20-11 in points off turnovers.
- Reggie Roemer led the Sabres with 21 points, while Alex Stecker scored 20 off six three-pointers as four players reached double-figures for MU.
- The Warriors have won three straight games over the Sabres.
- Wisconsin Lutheran plays four of its next five games on the road, beginning Saturday with a 2 p.m. contest at Dominican (4-13, 2-10 NACC). This will be the first of two meetings with the Stars in the final four weeks of the season. DU defeated Maranatha 71-68 on Tuesday night in non-conference action. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.