MILWAUKEE - Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) banked in a jumper as time expired to lift the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team to a thrilling 84-82 NACC win over rival Concordia Wisconsin on Thursday night at the Recreation Complex. Senior guard Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) also became the 19th player in program history to reach 1,000 career points on the night.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 84, Concordia Wisconsin 82
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-8, 5-5 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (7-7. 5-5 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 178
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) converted an old-fashioned three-point play to give the Warriors their first lead at 9-6 with 16:52 remaining in the opening half.
- WLC led by as much as five points in the first period, before a quick 8-0 run gave CUW a 36-29 lead with 7:04 left before intermission.
- The Warriors kept the game close and went into halftime trailing 42-37.
- WLC shot 41.7 percent (15-for-36) from the field in the opening half, compared to CUW's 40.5 percent (15-for-37).
- Kennedy led the Warriors at the break with 11 points, while Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) added nine.
- The second half went back-and-forth throughout, but the Falcons opened up an eight-point lead with 10:17 remaining in regulation.
- Coming out of a timeout, the Warriors erased that deficit quickly. Back-to-back three-pointers from Nowak and a tip-in from Marose knotted the score at 64-64 with 9:05 left.
- A couple fastbreak layups gave Wisconsin Lutheran its largest lead in the game at six points with 4:00 minutes remaining in regulation.
- CUW answered again and tied the score at 80-80 and again at 82-82 with just over a minute left.
- Coming down the stretch, WLC got a critical stop with :12 seconds left, and Marose banked in a mid-range jumper from just outside the left elbow to give the Warriors the thrilling victory as the final horn sounded.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy led the Warriors with 23 points while also grabbing nine boards.
- Marose posted his eighth double-double of the year, collecting 22 points and 12 rebounds.
- Nowak added 17 points, including three big shots from behind the arc. Jarnigo had 12 and dished out five assists.
- WLC shot 47.1 percent (33-for-70) from the field in the matchup. CUW shot 42.9 percent (30-for-70), but made good on 11 three-pointers.
- WLC won the battle of points in the paint (46-38), fastbreak points (10-2), and second-chance points (18-8).
- The game featured 14 ties and 13 lead changes.
- Wisconsin Lutheran has won two straight games over CUW by two points each.
- Eric Kittel scored 15 points to lead five Falcons in double-figures.
- WLC wraps up its three-game week at Aurora (12-3, 8-2 NACC) on Saturday afternoon with a 2 p.m. start. In the first matchup of the season on January 2, the Spartans escaped Milwaukee with an 86-81 victory. AU is coming off a 17-point victory over Dominican, 96-79, on Thursday night. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com.