SHEBOYGAN, Wis. – Four starters reached double-figures and Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) and Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) each recorded double-doubles as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team defeated Lakeland 88-84 on Tuesday night at Woltzen Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 88, Lakeland 84
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-8, 4-5 NACC), Lakeland (9-5, 5-4 NACC)
- Location: Woltzen Gymnasium, Sheboygan, Wis. | Attendance: 256
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors opened the game with a 10-2 run and led 20-6, their largest lead of the game and never trailed again in the contest.
- The Muskies came within three points at 22-19 with 7:36 left in the first half, but couldn't get any closer before halftime.
- The Warriors took a double-digit lead into the locker room at halftime of 40-29 after a pair of Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) free throws.
- WLC led by as many as 12 points with four minutes gone by in the second half before a 10-0 Muskies' run brought them within two points.
- The Warriors built their lead back up to 10 points at 77-67 with 3:17 to play before holding off Lakeland's final push.
- LC came within one point three times during the final :35 seconds of the game, but WLC made 7-of-8 free throws, including six straight from Jarnigo to help hold off the Muskies. Tanner Hackl's three-point attempt at the buzzer came up short.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy recorded his second straight double-double with a career- and game-high 26 points and 10 rebounds to lead four starters in double-figures.
- Jarnigo finished with 25 points, 12 of which came from the charity stripe.
- Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) contributed a career-high 19 points and Marose totaled 14 points and 13 rebounds for his seventh double-double of the season.
- WLC shot 46.8 percent (29-for-62) for the game. The Warriors also shot a season-best 76.7 percent (23-for-30) from the free throw line and dished out a season-high 21 assists, including eight from Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger).
- Wisconsin Lutheran out-rebounded Lakeland 45-36 and out-scored the hosts 18-3 in second-chance points.
- The Warriors' 88 points scored are their most since December 13, 2014.
- Brandon James paced the Muskies with 23 points and Tanner Hackl added 22 points and 11 rebounds.
- Wisconsin Lutheran will play host to NACC rival Concordia Wisconsin (7-6, 5-4 NACC) on Thursday at 7 p.m. CUW is coming off an impressive 94-54 win against Edgewood on Tuesday. Live audio, stats, and video will be available at wlcsports.com.