MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team erased a 10-point deficit in the second half and took a one-point lead with 1:31 remaining in regulation, but visiting Aurora answered by hitting 6-of-8 free throws over the final minute-plus to hand the Warriors an 86-81 defeat on Saturday afternoon at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Aurora 86, Wisconsin Lutheran 81
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-7, 2-4 NACC), Aurora (8-3, 5-2 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 169
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors scored the first four points of the game, which turned out to be their largest lead of the game.
- The Spartans surged back with a 16-4 run and proceeded to lead by 10 points at 25-15. The 10-point advantage was AU's largest lead of the game.
- WLC battled back and cut its deficit to just one point three times over the final 6:55 of the opening half.
- AU went into halftime with a seven-point lead, 44-37, over the Warriors.
- Aurora built its lead back up to 10 points with 14:12 left in the game, but the Warriors continued to claw back.
- WLC stayed within six points for the final 7:00 minutes of the game and took a slim 81-80 lead on Chase Nowak's (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) layup with 1:31 left to play. The basket was the seventh straight point for Nowak.
- AU took the lead back with two free throws on its next possession and went 6-for-8 from the line to close out the game and hold off the Warriors.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) led five Warriors starters in double-figures with 16 points. Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) added 15 points and Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) recorded his fifth double-double of the season with 14 points on 7-of-8 shooting and 11 rebounds. Nowak and Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) contributed 12 and 11 points, respectively.
- The Warriors out-shot the Spartans 46.4 percent to 43.1 percent, but AU out-scored WLC by 12 points at the free throw line. The Spartans were 21-for-28, while the Warriors were 9-for-14.
- The Spartans out-rebounded the Warriors 46-34, but WLC out-scored AU 40-30 on points in the paint.
- Tyler Hall led four Spartans starters in double-figures with 23 points. Chris Fritsch added 20 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
- Wisconsin Lutheran looks to snap its four-game losing skid when it hosts Edgewood (1-10, 1-5 NACC) on Wednesday at 7 p.m. to wrap up its four-game homestand. The Eagles were last defeated by top-ranked Augustana (Ill.) 79-44 last Wednesday. Live audio, stats, and video will be available at wlcsports.com.