MILWAUKEE - John O'Bryan scored a game-high 22 points as visiting Rockford shot nearly 53 percent from the floor and the Regents defeated the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team for the second time in three weeks, 88-62, on Saturday afternoon at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Rockford 88, Wisconsin Lutheran 62
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-6, 2-3 NACC), Rockford (7-3, 4-2 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 145
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors battled early in a back-and-forth start to the contest. A three-point basket from Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) at the 13:24 mark gave WLC a 14-12 lead. Unfortunately it would be the last lead for the hosts on the afternoon.
- A Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) layup tied the score at 20-20, but Rockford went on a 12-0 run over the span of 2:16 to break the game open.
- The Regents went into the locker room with a 45-27 halftime lead. RU shot 54.3 percent (19-for-35) from the field in the opening half, compared to Wisconsin Lutheran's chilly 30.6 percent (11-for-36).
- Rockford didn't lose a beat in the second half as it continued its hot shooting and led by 20 points with exactly 16 minutes left to play.
- Christian Kennedy's (Holmen, Wis./Luther) three-pointer brought the Warriors' deficit down to 11 points with 13:48 remaining, but WLC couldn't get any closer the rest of the way.
- Rockford had its largest lead in the game of 27 points with 1:47 left on the clock.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Schieve paced three Warriors in double-figures with a season-high 16 points in the contest, while Jarnigo contributed 15.
- Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) added 10 points off the bench on 4-of-5 shooting. Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) added seven points while grabbing seven boards for WLC.
- Wisconsin Lutheran ended the contest shooting a season-low 35.3 percent (24-for-68) and 22.7 percent (5-for-22) from beyond the arc, but Rockford shot 52.9 percent (36-for-68) from the field, including 42.6 percent (9-for-21) from long distance.
- The Regents had a balanced attack with four starters scoring in double-figures. O'Bryan led all scorers with 22. Michael Murray, Tony Diemer, and Zach Wallace contributed 18, 16, and 14 points, respectively.
- Jarnigo has reached double-figures in eight of nine games this season.
- Rockford has shot exactly 52.9 percent from the floor in both meetings against the Warriors this season.
- Wisconsin Lutheran returns to action two weeks from today when it hosts Aurora (6-3, 4-2 NACC) at 2 p.m. to open the 2016 calendar year. The Spartans suffered their second straight loss on Saturday, a 103-94 decision against Maryville (Tenn.). Live audio, stats, and video will be available for the matchup at wlcsports.com.