ROCKFORD, Ill. – Rockford shot nearly 53 percent from the floor and used a big run early in the second half to pull away from the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team and hand the Warriors a 95-81 defeat, their first conference loss of the season, on Saturday afternoon at the Seaver Center.
- Final Score: Rockford 95, Wisconsin Lutheran 81
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-4, 2-1 NACC), Rockford (5-2, 2-1 NACC)
- Location: Seaver Center, Rockford, Ill. | Attendance: 381
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rockford started out strong with an early 10-3 lead, but the Warriors battled back to take their first lead at 19-17 on a three-point play by Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) with 8:34 remaining.
- The Warriors clung to a 31-29 lead at the 5:17 mark, before the Regents took back the lead and used a 12-5 to run close the half and head into halftime with a 52-42 lead.
- The Regents ended the first shooting 58 percent (7-for-12) from the three-point line, and 54.5 percent (18-for-33) from the field, while the Warriors shot only 11 percent (1-for-9) from three, and 42 percent (14-for-33) from the field.
- WLC played even with RU for the opening four-plus minutes of the second period before the hosts began to pull away.
- Rockford went on a 17-2 run to take a 79-54 lead with 11:03 left to play.
- The lead stretched to 26 points before the Warriors came back to close the final margin to 14 points when the final horn sounded.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) led the Warriors with 19 points, one of four players to reach double-figures in the contest. Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) scored 14.
- Nowak added 12 and Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) tallied a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds, his fourth straight game with 10-plus rebounds.
- The Warriors shot 41.3 percent (26-for-63) for the game, while Rockford countered with 52.9 percent (36-for-68).
- Wisconsin Lutheran had a tough time at the charity stripe, shooting just 59.5 percent (25-for-42).
- The Regents out-scored the Warriors 35-16 in bench points.
- Rockford's John O'Bryan led the way with a game-high 27 points, one of six players to reach double-figures in the contest.
- The Warriors will host Concordia Chicago (1-2, 1-1 NACC) at home next Saturday, December 12 at 2 p.m. The Cougars are coming off of an 89-77 win over Edgewood on Saturday afternoon. Live audio, stats, and video will be available at wlcsports.com.