FOND DU LAC, Wis. - Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) scored a game- and season-high 22 points to lead three players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team moved to 2-0 in the NACC following an 81-71 win over Marian on Tuesday night at Sadoff Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 81, Marian 71
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-3, 2-0 NACC), Marian (3-3, 0-2 NACC)
- Location: Sadoff Gymnasium, Fond du Lac, Wis. | Attendance: 203
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sabres got off to a quick start in the matchup, jumping out to a 5-0 lead. The five-point lead was the largest of the game for MU, before Kennedy got the Warriors on the board with a layup.
- At the 10:34 mark of the opening half, Chase Nowak's (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) jumper gave WLC its first lead of the game at 16-14.
- The Warriors went into the half leading 31-26. WLC shot 34.4 percent (11-for-32) from the field, compared to Marian's 37.0 percent (10-for-27) in the first half.
- WLC started to pull away in the second half, and a layup from Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) opened up a 13-point lead for the Warriors.
- Marian battled back to close the gap to just five points with 12:14 remaining in regulation.
- WLC then rattled off a 19-0 run, capped off by Kennedy's layup, to lead 68-44. The 24-point lead was the Warriors' largest lead of the game.
- The Sabres never got within single digits, as the Warriors finished off the 10-point victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kennedy led all scorers in the game with 22 points.
- Jarnigo added 19 points and five assists to his credit. He has tallied double-figures in every game this season.
- Nowak, who scored 15 to go along with five boards, reached double-digits for the fifth time in six games.
- Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) grabbed 10 rebounds for WLC, the third straight double-digit rebound game for the Warriors' senior.
- WLC finished 44.4 percent (28-for-63) in the game, while MU shot 44.1 percent (26-for-59).
- The Warriors were 8-for-15 from behind the arc and 17-for-25 from the charity stripe.
- The Sabres had a balanced attack, with all five starters scoring double digits, led Josh Creed's 14.
- WLC hasn't started 2-0 in league play since the 2009-2010 season.
- The victory was also the Warriors' first at Sadoff Gymnasium since 2010-2011.
- Wisconsin Lutheran continues conference play on the road Saturday when it travels to take on Rockford (4-2, 1-1 NACC) at 2 p.m. The Regents are coming off an 89-79 loss against 12th-ranked Benedictine on Tuesday night. Live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com.