MILWAUKEE - Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) scored a career-high 19 points to pace four players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team defeated cross-town conference foe MSOE 81-63 in its NACC opener on Saturday afternoon at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 81, MSOE 63
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-3, 1-0 NACC), MSOE (1-3, 0-1 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 185
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Despite two ties early on, Wisconsin Lutheran never trailed in the contest, leading from the 17:21 mark of the opening half until the final horn sounded.
- The Raiders came as close as three points in the first half at 22-19 but couldn't get any closer as the Warriors closed the first half strong. WLC tallied the last five points of the first half and headed into halftime in front 39-26, its largest lead of the half.
- The Warriors shot 52.9 percent (18-for-34) in the first half, compared to MSOE's 43.5 percent (10-for-23).
- Wisconsin Lutheran opened the second half with an 11-3 run capped by a Nowak three-pointer for a 21-point lead. Shortly after, the Warriors led by a game-high 22 points at 53-31 with 13:10 remaining.
- The Raiders came within 12 points at the 9:40 mark, but four straight points from the Warriors and the visitors would get no closer for the remainder of the game.
- WLC shot an even 50 percent (14-for-28) in the second half, while MSOE went for 40.6 percent (13-for-32).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Nowak reached double-figures for the fourth time this season with a career-high 19 points. Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) followed with 13 and Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) and Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) added 12 each.
- Marose tallied his second straight double-double with 11 rebounds, tying a game-high.
- The Warriors converted 19 MSOE turnovers into 22 points and dominated points in the paint, 44-28.
- WLC finished the game shooting 51.6 percent (32-for-62) from the floor, but just 62.5 percent (15-for-24) from the free throw line and 20 percent (2-for-10) from beyond the arc.
- MSOE checked in at 41.8 percent (23-for-55) from the floor, 61.1 percent (11-for-18) from the charity stripe, and 28.6 percent (6-for-21) from downtown.
- The Raiders' Austin Stueck led all scorers with 27 points.
- WLC has won two straight over MSOE and now leads the all-time series 30-27.
- Wisconsin Lutheran travels to Fond du Lac on Tuesday for a NACC matchup with Marian (3-2, 0-1 NACC) at 7 p.m. Live stats and video will be available for the game at wlcsports.com. The Sabres fell at home to Concordia Wisconsin on Saturday, 83-79.