MILWAUKEE - Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) scored 20 points to lead four players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team held off Rockford 73-72 Saturday at the Recreation Complex for its third straight win and a berth in the NACC Tournament.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 73, Rockford 72
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (13-11, 9-10 NACC), Rockford (7-17, 6-13 NACC)
- Series: The Warriors lead the all-time series 11-8. WLC has won three straight meetings.
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 165
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rockford built an early 11-6 lead before Wisconsin Lutheran scored 12 straight points for an 18-11 lead with 11:56 left in the first half.
- Eight straight from the Regents gave them a brief 19-18 lead as the Warriors regained the lead for the final 10:04 of the first half. WLC took a 43-34 lead into halftime, its largest lead of the game.
- The Warriors shot 61.3 percent (19-for-31) in the opening period as Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) scored all 12 of his points in the half. The Regents shot 37.5 percent (12-for-32).
- The second half was back-and-forth as it featured seven ties and four lead changes. A 15-0 run from the Regents gave them their first lead of the second half at 51-46 with 15:12 remaining.
- WLC held a brief 57-55 lead with 10:41 on the clock and trailed by six points at 69-63 with 5:55 to play.
- DJ Escamilla (Hartland, Wis./Arrowhead) put Wisconsin Lutheran in front for the final time with a three-pointer at the 1:59 mark for a 73-71 lead.
- The Regents later made one of two free throw attempts and had the ball with seven seconds left but the Warriors defense stood strong on their final possession as they held on for the win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors wrapped up the game shooting 49.2 percent (31-for-63). The Regents went for 41.7 percent (25-for-60).
- Jarnigo was joined in double-figures by Kyle Stelse (Jefferson, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran), who had 16 points. Escamilla finished with 13 and Walz added 12.
- Brett Lubbe (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) corralled 10 rebounds, a game-high.
- WLC out-rebounded Rockford 38-32, but the Regents out-scored the Warriors 32-22 on points in the paint and 13-6 in points off turnovers.
- Michael Murray led three players in double-figures for the Regents with a game-high 27 points.
- The Warriors' 13 wins are their most since the 2008-2009 season (15). WLC qualified for the NACC Tournament for the second straight season.
- The Warriors host MSOE (13-11, 10-9 NACC) Wednesday for Senior Night at 7 p.m. at the Recreation Complex. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com. The Raiders defeated the Warriors 68-54 in their first meeting of the season January 13 at the Kern Center.