MILWAUKEE – Kyle Stelse (Jefferson, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) scored a game-high 17 points to lead three players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team defeated Concordia Chicago 68-55 Saturday afternoon in front of a large Winterfest contingent at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 68, Concordia Chicago 55
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (11-11, 7-10 NACC), Concordia Chicago (6-16, 4-13 NACC)
- Series: The Warriors lead the all-time series 14-6. WLC has won four straight meetings over the Cougars.
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 477
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The beginning of the first half was back and forth, as it featured one tie and two lead changes, before the Warriors grabbed the lead 14-13 and never trailed again in the contest.
- Wisconsin Lutheran then used a 17-4 run to stretch the lead to 31-17 with 5:17 left in the first.
- WLC led at the break 40-23 behind 54.5 percent shooting and DJ Escamilla's (Hartland, Wis./Arrowhead) 14 points off the bench. CUC was held to 20.7 percent shooting in the period.
- Concordia Chicago scored the first four points of the second half and held the Warriors scoreless for almost three-and-half minutes.
- Brett Lubbe's (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) jump shot gave WLC its largest lead of the game, 47-27, at the 14:42 mark of the second.
- CUC used an 8-2 run to cut the lead to 49-35 and give the Cougars some momentum.
- A 7-0 run by Concordia Chicago pulled them within 12 at 59-47 with 5:31 remaining, but they wouldn't get any closer as the Warriors sealed the game at the free throw line to take the 68-55 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors shot 43.8 percent (28-for-64) for the game, while the Cougars finished at 32.1 percent (17-for-53).
- Concordia Chicago was held to 20.8 percent shooting (5-for-24) from three.
- Stelse led all scorers with 17 points on 7-of-10 shooting. Escamilla finished the game with 16 and Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) chipped in 10.
- WLC out-rebounded CUC 45-34. Lubbe and Nate Siemers (Nicollet, Minn./Minnesota Valley Lutheran) pulled down 10 boards apiece to lead Wisconsin Lutheran.
- Kylan Anderson led Concordia Chicago with 15 points, while Mike Walmer added 10 points and seven rebounds.
- The victory was Wisconsin Lutheran's third home win of the season.
- The Warriors return to action next Tuesday when they travel to Edgewood (11-11, 10-7 NACC) for a 7 p.m. tip-off. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com. The Eagles defeated WLC 85-80 in double overtime in their first meeting of the season November 22 at the REX.