MILWAUKEE – Lakeland shot 62.1 percent in the first half and led by as many as 29 points and the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team couldn't quite recover as the Muskies defeated the Warriors 69-54 Wednesday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Lakeland 69, Wisconsin Lutheran 54
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-11, 6-10 NACC), Lakeland (14-8, 10-7 NACC)
- Series: Lakeland leads the all-time series 37-25. After losing three straight to the Warriors, the Muskies sweep the season series from WLC.
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 172
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors scored the first bucket of the game for an early 2-0 lead. Unfortunately it would be their only lead of the game as Lakeland rattled off 11 straight points.
- The Muskies continued their hot shooting and made six three-pointers during a 10-minute span and blazed out to a 38-9 lead over the Warriors.
- WLC came within 18 points with under two minutes left and went into halftime trailing 43-23.
- Lakeland shot an improbable 62.1 percent (18-for-29), including 7-for-10 from three-point range in the opening 20 minutes. Wisconsin Lutheran was limited to just 33.3 percent (9-for-27) shooting in the period.
- The Muskies' torrid scoring pace slowed down in the second half, but they still managed to maintain a lead of as many as 25 points with 10:14 remaining.
- Facing a 22-point deficit (62-40) with 7:20 left, the Warriors scored 10 straight points to close within 12, but couldn't climb any closer the rest of the way.
- Lakeland cooled down in the second half, shooting only 25.8 percent (8-for-31) compared to Wisconsin Lutheran's slightly improved 36.7 percent (11-for-30).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors shot 35.1 percent (20-for-57) for the game, while the Muskies finished at 43.3 percent (26-for-60).
- Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) led all scorers with 16 points on a trio of three-pointers. The junior guard also dished out four assists. Nate Siemers (Nicollet, Minn./Minnesota Valley Lutheran) tallied nine points and nine rebounds, while Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) pulled down 10 boards.
- LC out-rebounded WLC by a narrow margin of 38-35.
- Travis Kell paced three Muskies in double-figures with 14 points. Lakeland locked up a NACC Tournament berth with its second straight win.
- Wisconsin Lutheran fell to 2-6 on its homecourt this season.
- The Warriors return to action Saturday when they host Concordia Chicago (6-15, 4-12 NACC) at 3:15 p.m. for Winterfest. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com. WLC defeated CUC 69-49 in their first meeting of the season December 20 in River Forest, Ill.