MILWAUKEE - Brett Lubbe (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) sank a pair of free throws with eight seconds left and the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team held Marian on its final possession as the Warriors edged the Sabres 58-57 Tuesday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 58, Marian 57
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-10, 6-9 NACC), Marian (9-10, 8-6 NACC)
- Series: Marian leads the all-time series 35-28. MU had won seven straight meetings prior to tonight's matchup.
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 202
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half featured seven ties and four lead changes as neither team held more than a four-point lead for 16 minutes.
- With the score knotted at 19-19, the Warriors received scoring contributions from four different players and closed the half on a 10-2 run to take a 29-21 lead into the locker room.
- The Warriors shot just 32.4 percent in the opening half, while the Sabres shot 45.0 percent. However, WLC connected on four three-pointers, while MU was held without a field goal from long distance.
- The second half eventually resembled the first half, but not before the Warriors grabbed a game-high 12-point lead (33-21) early and remained in front for almost the first 13 minutes of the half.
- Marian grabbed its first lead of the period of 45-44 with 7:03 to play and had its biggest lead of the game of only four points with 4:08 on the clock.
- Trailing 56-52, WLC connected on four consecutive free throws over its next four possessions to tie the game at 56 apiece with :43 seconds left.
- MU's Brandon McCullum was fouled on the following possession and made one of two free throw attempts. Following the second attempt, Lubbe was fouled going for the defensive rebound and proceeded to knock down both of his free throw attempts with eight seconds on the clock.
- Drew Binversie's jumper from the right baseline missed as time expired.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors shot just 33.3 percent (20-for-60) for the game, while the Sabres went for 45.5 percent (20-for-44).
- Kyle Stelse (Jefferson, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) topped WLC in scoring for the fifth straight game with 16 points and 11 rebounds. It was the senior's first double-double of the season. Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) added 11 points and four assists.
- Josh Creed scored 14 points and grabbed 15 rebounds for Marian. McCullum contributed 12 points off the bench.
- WLC edged MU on the glass 38-37, but dominated the offensive side 19-9. The 19 offensive rebounds are the third-highest of the season.
- With just four less turnovers than the Sabres, the Warriors managed to win the points off turnovers battle 23-15.
- It was the Warriors' second win on their homecourt and first of the season when shooting below 40 percent.
- The win snapped Marian's seven-game winning streak over Wisconsin Lutheran dating back to January 17, 2012.
- "I try not to think about the moment. I had a tough game finishing some lay-ups so it felt nice to go out there and hit two. Once I saw the first one go through, I knew I could hit the second." - Brett Lubbe
- The Warriors have eight days off before they host Lakeland (12-8, 8-7 NACC) Wednesday, February 4 at 7 p.m. at the Recreation Complex. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com. The Muskies defeated WLC 91-76 in their first meeting of the season December 2 in Sheboygan.