LISLE, Ill. – Benedictine shot just over 50 percent from the floor as the host Eagles defeated the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team 83-57 Saturday afternoon at the Dan and Ada Rice Center.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors dropped to 9-10 overall and 5-9 in NACC play. Benedictine won its fourth straight game to improve to 12-6 overall and 10-3 in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The beginning of the first half saw three ties and two lead changes, as Wisconsin Lutheran had its biggest lead of the game 11-7 with 14:36 left in the first half.
- Benedictine then used a 15-3 run to grab a 22-14 lead and never trailed again in the contest.
- The Warriors got as close as four points at 33-29 at the 2:20 mark, but the Eagles led at the half 38-29. Kyle Stelse (Jefferson, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) led WLC with 13 points at halftime.
- Wisconsin Lutheran came as close as 10 points at 55-45 with 10:30 to play in the second half.
- BenU ended the game on 28-12 run and led by a game-high 28 points with 0:51 seconds remaining.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- WLC finished the contest shooting 40.4 percent (23-for-57), while Benedictine went for 50.9 percent (27-for-53).
- Stelse led the Warriors in scoring for the fourth straight game with 14 points.
- Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) and Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) reached double-figures off the bench with 13 and 10 points, respectively.
- Benedictine out-rebounded Wisconsin Lutheran 41-26, but Brett Lubbe (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) corralled seven boards to lead Wisconsin Lutheran.
- The Warriors out-scored Benedictine's bench 35-29.
- Michael Blaszczyk led all scorers with 17 points and Kevin Rollins added 15 for BenU.
- The Eagles have won four straight vs. WLC and five of the last six.
- The Warriors return home to the REX Tuesday against Marian (9-9, 8-5 NACC) for a 7 p.m. tip-off. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com. The Sabres defeated WLC 77-55 in their first meeting earlier this season December 4 at Sadoff Gymnasium.