LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) scored career-high 16 points off the bench to lead four players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team secured a 68-54 win over Wartburg (Iowa) Tuesday afternoon in its final game of the D3hoops.com Classic at South Point Arena.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors won their third straight contest to improve to 7-6. The Knights dropped to 7-4 on the season after losing both of their games in Las Vegas.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The beginning of the first half was back-and-forth, but WLC pulled ahead 9-7 at the 14:25 mark in the first half and never trailed again in the contest.
- Wisconsin Lutheran then used a 10-2 run to extend the lead to 17-9. Wartburg's Jordan Cannon nailed a three at the buzzer, but the Warriors led at the half 30-24.
- The Knights pulled within four points four separate times in the second half but couldn't get any closer.
- The Warriors used a 14-4 run to take control of the game at 54-40 with 4:25 remaining.
- WLC had its largest lead of 16 points with :24 seconds remaining in the game.
- Walz scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half, and Wisconsin Lutheran shot a blistering 61.9 percent in the period.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors shot 46.3 percent from the floor (25-for-54) and held Wartburg to 33.3 percent (19-for-57) shooting for the contest, including just 19 percent from behind the arc (4-for-21).
- WLC improved at the free throw line, shooting 76.5 percent (13-for-17).
- Kyle Stelse (Jefferson, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) and Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) joined Walz in double-figures with 14 and 12 points respectively. Nate Siemers (Nicollet, Minn./Minnesota Valley Lutheran) also chipped in 10.
- Stelse and Brett Lubbe (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) each had a team-high eight rebounds as the Warriors out-rebounded the Knights 41-33.
- Wisconsin Lutheran's bench out-scored Wartburg 29-4 and controlled points in the paint, 30-18.
- Clay Cook posted a double-double of 19 points and 17 boards to lead three players in double-figures for Wartburg.
- The Warriors return to conference play Saturday at Dominican (1-11, 1-6 NACC) for a 4:15 p.m. tip off. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com. WLC defeated the Stars 80-67 in their first meeting earlier this season November 25 at the REX.