FOND DU LAC, Wis. – Marian shot over 50 percent from the floor and had four players reach double-figures as the host Sabres handed the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team a 77-55 setback Thursday night at Sadoff Gymnasium.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors dropped to 3-4 overall and 1-3 in the NACC, while the Sabres improved to 4-2 overall and 3-0 in league play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Marian controlled the beginning of the first half, only to see Wisconsin Lutheran pull within one point at 20-19 at the 9:14 mark. However, the Warriors never held the lead in the contest.
- The Sabres regained the upper hand and led by as many as 13 points, but WLC cut the lead to single digits to head into the half trailing 39-31.
- Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) paced the Warriors with eight points at the break.
- The Warriors came as close as nine points with 13:02 to play in the second half.
- Marian answered with an 11-2 run to put the game away, and led by a game-high 22 points at the 3:04 mark, and at the final buzzer to win 77-55.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- WLC shot 35.4 percent for the game (17-for-48), while shooting a chilly 26.9 percent in the second half.
- Marian finished at a scorching 50.8 percent (30-for-59), including 53.8 percent in the first period.
- Wisconsin Lutheran was 5-for-17 from distance (29.4 percent), compared to the Sabres, who shot 7-for-14 (50.0 percent) from three.
- DJ Escamilla (Hartland, Wis./Arrowhead) led the Warriors with 12 points and five rebounds, while Walz added 11 points and five boards.
- Josh Creed and Carvell Oliver paced two other Sabres who reached double-figures with 15 points apiece.
- MU controlled the glass 41-29, and points in the paint, 40-18.
- Marian improved to 19-1 over its last 20 games against NACC opponents on its homecourt.
- WLC hosts Aurora (5-2, 3-0 NACC) Saturday afternoon at 4:15 p.m. at the Recreation Complex. Live stats and video will be available on wlcsports.com.