MANKATO, Minn. - DJ Escamilla (Hartland, Wis./Arrowhead) led the Warriors with 17 points and three other players scored in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team defeated Bethany Lutheran 74-60 in a non-conference road matchup Saturday afternoon.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The non-conference win moved the Warriors to 3-2 overall, while the Vikings dropped to 0-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- On the game's first possession, Escamilla knocked down a three-point bucket, and the Warriors never trailed in the contest.
- The Warriors went on a 6-0 run to extend the lead to 27-17 with 10:01 remaining in the half.
- WLC led by as many as 19, and also closed the half on a 6-0 run to lead at the break 48-29. Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) led the Warriors with nine points in the first half.
- In the second half, BLC went on an 8-0 run and whittled the Warriors' lead down to seven at 55-48 with 11:05 remaining in the game. Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) nailed a triple on the next possession to stop the Vikings run, and the Warriors never looked back.
- Escamilla had 11 points in the second half and went 3-for-4 from the beyond the arc.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Escamilla scored a game-high 17 points on 11-of-18 shooting, including going 5-for-6 from three-point range.
- Kyle Stelse (Jefferson, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) added 12 points with a game-high five assists. Marose finished with 11 points, and Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) chipped in 10.
- Brett Lubbe (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) added a game-high 11 rebounds, and Walz contributed a season-high eight points off the bench.
- Neil Eichten led the Vikings with 14 points. Nate Chadderdon grabbed eight boards, and Luke Roddy dished out four assists.
- The Warriors shot 48.4 percent (31-for-64), compared to the Vikings' 51.9 percent (27-for-52).
- Wisconsin Lutheran lit it up from distance, going 9-for-16 in the contest (56.2 percent). They in-turn held Bethany to 2-for-10 shooting (20 percent) from three.
- WLC out-rebounded Bethany 38-27, and held a 13-7 edge in second-chance points.
- Wisconsin Lutheran returns to conference play Tuesday at Lakeland (4-0, 1-0 NACC) at 7 p.m. Links to live stats and video will be available on wlcsports.com.