MILWAUKEE – Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) scored a career-high 29 points for the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team before his attempted game-tying three just missed the mark at the final buzzer in the Warriors' 68-65 loss to Lawrence in Tuesday's season opener at the Recreation Complex.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The non-conference loss dropped the Warriors to 0-1, while the Vikings improved to 2-0 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors never trailed by more than six in the contest, and went on an 11-2 run after falling behind 18-12 to grab a 23-20 lead with 4:43 remaining in the opening half. WLC led 28-27 at the break.
- WLC again trailed by six in the second half at 52-46 before Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) scored seven points during another 11-2 run to take a 57-54 advantage with 5:34 to play.
- Lawrence used a 7-0 run to take the lead for good at 63-59 with 3:06 left on the clock.
- Jarnigo hit a three-pointer with 41 seconds remaining to pull the Warriors to within one at 63-62. After Trace Sonnleitner made a pair of free throws for a three-point lead with seven seconds to go, Jarnigo's attempted game-tying three from the top of the key fell just short as time expired.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The see-saw battle featured seven ties and 13 lead changes.
- Jarnigo scored 29 points on 10-of-20 shooting, inlcuding 6-of-13 from beyond the arc. Marose added 14 points and eight boards, Brett Lubbe (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) supplied four points and a game-high 12 rebounds, and Kyle Stelse (Jefferson, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) notched nine points and eight caroms.
- Jamie Nikitas led the Vikings with 23 points, 11 rebounds, and four assists. Sonnleitner was 4-for-9 from downtown for 22 points, and Troy Miller chipped in with 13 points.
- The shooting was nearly even, as WLC shot 38.1 percent (24-of-63) compared with Lawrence's 40.3 percent (25-for-62). The Warriors struggled at the line, making just 10-of-21 free throws (47.6 percent), while the Vikings sank 8-of-9 (88.9 percent) from the charity stripe.
- WLC out-rebounded Lawrence 43-38 and held a 20-15 edge in second chance points.
- The Warriors will play a non-conference road contest at Maranatha (1-1) Thursday at 7 p.m. A link to live video will be available on wlcsports.com.