MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team's home opener was spoiled by 27 unanswered second-half points from visiting Lawrence Tech as the Blue Devils defeated Wisconsin Lutheran 30-22 Saturday afternoon at Raabe Stadium.
- Final Score: Lawrence Tech 30, Wisconsin Lutheran 22
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-2), Lawrence Tech (2-0)
- Location: Raabe Stadium, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors struck first on their opening drive of the contest when Nick Charles-Crowl (Bradenton, Fla.) made a leaping 14-yard catch from Pat Mathieson (New Port Richey, Fla.) in the back of the end zone to cap a nine-play, 73-yard drive and give the hosts an 8-0 lead after a successful two-point conversion.
- Lawrence Tech converted a 24-yard field goal with 2:31 left in the first quarter to trim WLC's lead to 8-3.
- Chrystyan Woyak (Juneau, Wis.) caught a touchdown from a yard out from Mathieson with 0:33 seconds left in the opening half to extend the Warriors' lead to 14-3 heading into halftime.
- Woyak snagged his second touchdown of the day and converted the two-point conversion to give the Green and White a 22-3 lead with 10:46 remaining in the third quarter.
- The Blue Devils responded with a 26-yard fade route at the front pylon from Tyler Kulka to Nick Spohn to cut the Warriors' lead to 22-10 with just under eight minutes left in the third quarter.
- The Blue Devils forced a three-and-out and responded with a seven-play, 45-yard touchdown drive to trim the score to 22-17.
- LTU took its first lead with 9:10 left in the game with a 24-yard touchdown from Kulka to Spohn again.
- Kulka extended the Lawrence Tech lead to 30-22 with a 12-yard scamper with 4:29 left in the fourth.
- The Blue Devil defense recorded two sacks on the final two plays of the game to secure their first road victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors recorded 292 yards of total offense, 223 of which came through the air.
- Mathieson completed 17 of 34 attempts for 220 yards and three scores. He also led the ground game with 69 yards on 11 attempts.
- Javion Morgan (Naples, Fla.) led the receivers with four receptions and 62 yards. Woyak had two touchdowns out of his three receptions.
- Isaac Zatezalo (Oakley, Calif.) led the defense with seven tackles, while Trevor Seewald (Coleman, Wis.) and Jody Stycznski (Coleman, Wis.) added six each. The defense forced two fumbles in the contest.
FOR THE FOES
- The Blue Devils totaled 368 yards of totals offense, 212 of which came via the passing attack.
- Kulka was 18 for 38 in the air for 212 and three touchdowns.
- Tanner Foley led the Blue Devils with 148 yards on the ground and two scores. Spohn added two scores and 73 yards receiving.
- Thomas Lappin led the defense with eight tackles, three of which were for a loss in the backfield.
- The Warriors continue their stretch of three straight home games against Hope (1-1) next Saturday in the MIAA-NACC Challenge. Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. at Raabe Stadium. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCsports.com.