MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Aurora scored three of its first four touchdowns from at least 42 yards away and out-scored the Wisconsin Lutheran College football team 27-6 in the second half as the Spartans defeated the Warriors 48-13 on Saturday on Homecoming and the NACC opener for both teams.
- Final Score: Aurora 48, Wisconsin Lutheran 13
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-4, 0-1 NACC), Aurora (2-2, 1-0 NACC)
- Location: Raabe Stadium, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 450
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors marched deep into Aurora territory twice in the first quarter, but neither time were they able to come away with any points as they turned the ball over on downs.
- The Spartans struck for two big touchdowns plays in the final 2:17 of the first quarter for a 14-0 lead over the Warriors. A 77-yard TD run and a 50-yard pass play providing the scoring for AU.
- WLC closed to within 14-7 on a six-yard touchdown run from Pat Mathieson (New Port Richey, Fla./River Ridge) with 4:23 left in the second quarter.
- AU scored in just four plays on its next possession for a 21-7 halftime lead.
- Aurora scored on three straight drives from the third quarter into the fourth for a 41-7 lead over Wisconsin Lutheran.
- WLC's final points of the game came on a Tony Ciufo (Madison, Wis./East) eight-yard touchdown pass to Jake Mroczynski (New London, Wis./New London) on the Warriors' final drive of the game with 4:51 remaining.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Mathieson completed 9-of-21 passes for 117 yards. He also rushed for 29 yards on 13 carries.
- Joshua Cason (Deltona, Fla./Pine Ridge) rushed 12 times for 47 yards as WLC was just three yards shy of the century mark for team rushing yards.
- Theo Belhomme (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway) was one of three Warriors receivers to catch three passes on the afternoon, leading the group with 56 yards.
- Caleb Heinritz (Sussex, Wis./Homeschooled) led all Warriors tacklers with eight, including a forced fumble.
- For the Spartans offense, Geron Rogers threw for 191 yards and three touchdowns on 10-for-21 passing, Connor Olson rushed for 132 yards on 11 carries, and Danny Loguirato caught six passes for 135 yards and three scores.
- Kam Dawtyne led Aurora defensively with eight tackles.
- The Spartans defeated the Warriors for the first time since 2010, snapping WLC's five-game series winning streak.
- The Warriors play their first road game in over a month next week, traveling to Rockford for a 1:00 p.m. kickoff with the Regents. RU was defeated on the road by Benedictine on Saturday, 67-15. Links to live audio, stats, and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.