MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team struck first, but visiting Olivet scored 30 unanswered points to defeat the Warriors 30-7 in their home opener on Saturday afternoon at Raabe Stadium.
- Final Score: Olivet 30, Wisconsin Lutheran 7
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-2), Olivet (2-1)
- Location: Raabe Stadium, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 538
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following an Olivet fumble in the final five minutes of the first quarter, quarterback Pat Mathieson (New Port Richey, Fla./River Ridge) found Travis Barcalow (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) in the end zone with an eight-yard pass, giving the Warriors a 7-0 lead.
- In a 10-play, 78-yard drive, Olivet's Christopher Jones scored on a one-yard rush to find the end zone that tied the score 7-7 with 53 seconds remaining in the first quarter.
- After a Warriors' special teams miscue, Olivet quarterback Braden Black ran for a 23-yard touchdown :11 seconds into the second quarter for a 13-7 Comets lead.
- A 37-yard field goal from Douglas Pollard in the final seconds of the first half stretched the Oivet lead to 16-7 over the Warriors at halftime.
- With 10:39 left in the third quarter, Black had another touchdown run for OC from seven yards away that capped a 10-play, 80-yard drive.
- The final scoring play of the game was a one-yard plunge by Olivet's Jeshua Wiese after a 13 play, 83-yard drive with 6:10 left in the game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Olivet totaled 403 yards of offense, while Wisconsin Lutheran totaled 199. Of the Comets' 403 yards, 250 of them were through the air. Wisconsin Lutheran was limited to just four rushing yards, but passed for 195.
- Pat Mathieson was 20-for-31 for 175 yards and a score.
- Joshua Cason (Deltona, Fla./Pine Ridge) led WLC with 20 rushing yards on four carries. Chris Norvilus (Clermont Fla./East Ridge) was close behind with 19 yards also on four attempts.
- On the receiving end, Theo Belhomme (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway) led the Warriors with 81 yards on seven receptions. Barcalow caught four passes for 51 yards and a touchdown.
- Larry Meeks (Burlington, Wis./Burlington) and Logan Troutman (Apopka, Fla./East Ridge) both had seven tackles for the Warriors. Troutman, JD Leisemann (Fall River, Wis./Fall River), and Zach Brug (Sturtevant, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) each recorded a sack.
- For the Comets offensively, Braden Black was 15-for-23 with 250 yards. He also led Olivet in rushing yards with 65 on 14 carries and two touchdowns.
- Chanler Carmer led Olivet's defense with seven tackles. Thomas Gary-Homes and Walter Love III were close behind with six tackles each.
- Cole Madry collected 2.5 sacks.
- WLC had four drives halted inside Olivet territory.
- The Comets improved to 7-2 all-time over the Warriors.
- The Warriors will be home again next week when they host UW-Eau Claire (0-2) at 2:00 p.m. at Raabe Stadium. The Blugolds had a bye this week and last fell to Concordia Moorhead 25-7 on September 10. Live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.