AURORA, Ill. – The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team scored three touchdowns within the final three minutes of the first half and overcame six turnovers to hold off host Aurora 21-14 Saturday afternoon in a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference contest at a rain-soaked Vago Field.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 21, Aurora 14
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-5, 2-2 NACC), Aurora (3-5, 2-3 NACC)
- Location: Vago Field, Aurora, Ill. | Attendance: 341
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first quarter, Aurora struck first using good field position following an interception with a Brandon Evans seven-yard touchdown run to put the Spartans ahead 7-0.
- Wisconsin Lutheran answered with 2:56 remaining in the half when Gino DeGeorge (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) found Mitch Skarban (Appleton, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) in the end zone for a six-yard touchdown reception. The extra point was blocked and WLC trailed 7-6.
- On the ensuing kickoff, Larry Meeks (Burlington, Wis. /Burlington) forced and recovered an Aurora fumble to set up 1st and 10 at the Aurora 25-yard line. Two plays later, DeGeorge found Skarban again in the end zone, this time for a 19-yard score. The two-point conversion failed but the Warriors took a 12-7 lead.
- The WLC defense forced a four-and-out and Wisconsin Lutheran took over at its own 33-yard line with 1:06 to go in the half. DeGeorge completed a 22-yard pass to Alex Foster (Kenosha, Wis./St. Joseph) off a tipped pass and on the next play found Theo Belhomme (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway) for the 44-yard touchdown reception. The two-point conversion failed and the Warriors held an 18-7 lead at halftime.
- The Spartans scored on their first possession of the second half as Jonathan Stokes rushed 14 yards for the touchdown to keep Aurora in the game at 18-14.
- On the next possession, Matt Grams (Milwaukee, Wis./Pius XI) tacked on a 24-yard field goal and Wisconsin Lutheran held on for the 21-14 victory.
- The win marks five straight over Aurora dating back to the 2011 season.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors out-gained the Spartans 271-243 in total yardage. WLC piled up 192 yards through the air and 79 yards on the ground.
- DeGeorge was 10-for-30 for 192 yards, with three passing touchdowns and four interceptions.
- Skarban hauled in four catches for 84 yards and two scores. He still holds the NACC lead for touchdown catches (11) and receiving yards per game (112.8).
- Jared Bruemmer (Hanover Park, Ill./Hoffman Estates) carried the ball 27 times for 88 yards.
- Tanner Behnke (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) led Wisconsin Lutheran with 11 tackles. JD Leisemann (Fall River, Wis./Fall River) had two sacks and five tackles for loss.
- Meeks, Jordan Miller (Menominee, Mich./Menominee), and Jim D'Angelo (Fredonia, Wis./Ozaukee) each forced fumbles in the contest and Meeks recovered two fumbles.
- Geron Rogers was 11-for-26 with 117 yards passing.
- Evans ran for 67 yards on 22 attempts and caught three passes for 41 yards.
- Cody Patchett recorded 11 tackles and Kam Dawtyne had two interceptions.
- The Warriors return home to Raabe Stadium next Saturday to face off against NACC foe Concordia Chicago (2-6, 0-4 NACC) for Senior Day. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. Links to live audio and stats will be available at wlcsports.com. The Cougars were defeated in non-conference action by Alma 36-13 at home on Saturday.