LISLE, Ill. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team scored 13 unanswered points in the second quarter to take the lead, however it wasn't enough as the Warriors were defeated by host Benedictine 30-13 Saturday afternoon in a NACC contest at the Sports Complex.
- Final Score: Benedictine 30, Wisconsin Lutheran 13
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-4, 0-2 NACC), Benedictine (3-2, 1-0 NACC)
- Location: The Sports Complex, Lisle, Ill. | Attendance: 1226
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Benedictine struck first on its opening possession with an 11-play, 70-yard drive as Ryan Sample tossed an 18-yard touchdown pass to Omar Lopez for a 7-0 lead.
- After back-to-back fumbles, the Eagles knocked in a 22-yard field goal to extend the lead to 10-0.
- Wisconsin Lutheran got on the board in the second quarter. Gino DeGeorge (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) found Mitch Skarban (Appleton, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) in the end zone for a 5-yard touchdown pass to cut the lead to 10-7.
- After the defense forced a four-and-out, DeGeorge connected with Skarban again on an eight-yard touchdown pass to cap off an 11-play, 66-yard drive to put WLC ahead 13-10 after an unsuccessful extra point.
- The Eagles took back the lead before halftime. Lopez caught a 26-yard touchdown pass from Sample to move back in front 17-13.
- The Warriors moved the ball 65 yards in 1:14, but a fumble ended WLC's chance of scoring before the first half clock expired
- Benedictine scored 13 points in the second half.
- With 4:13 remaining in the fourth quarter, WLC marched down to the Benedictine nine yard-line after driving 66 yards, but could not convert for a score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Eagles out-gained the Warriors 411-344 in total yardage. WLC piled up 286 yards through the air and 58 yards on the ground.
- DeGeorge was 28-for-48 for 286 yards, with two passing touchdowns.
- Skarban hauled in eight catches for 103 yards and two scores for the second-straight week. He is currently leading the NACC with seven touchdown receptions.
- Jared Bruemmer (Hanover Park, Ill./Hoffman Estates) carried the ball 13 times for 53 yards.
- Tanner Behnke (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) led WLC with 19 tackles, good for the second-highest total in a single game all-time in team history.
- Jake Engels (Coleman, Wis./Coleman) and Andrew Flegel (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) each recorded an interception and Jordan Miller (Menominee, Mich./Menominee) recovered a fumble.
- Sample was 19-for-33 for 273 yards, with four touchdown passes and two picks.
- Joshua Williams ran for 53 yards on 15 attempts.
- Lopez made four catches for 70 yards and two scores.
- Jarrett Lecas recorded 12 tackles and Alex Bretous recovered two fumbles.
- The Warriors return home next Saturday to face off against Rockford (2-3, 0-1 NACC) for Hall of Fame Day. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Raabe Stadium. Links to live audio and stats will be available at wlcsports.com. The Regents were defeated 34-0 in a non-conference matchup against Hope at home on Saturday.