MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team rallied from a deficit for the fourth straight game, but came up just short as Lakeland defeated the Warriors 15-13 Saturday afternoon on Homecoming and the NACC opener for both teams at Raabe Stadium.
- Final Score: Lakeland 15, Wisconsin Lutheran 13
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-3, 0-1 NACC), Lakeland (2-2, 1-0 NACC)
- Location: Raabe Stadium, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 978
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lakeland struck first at the 4:16 mark in the first quarter, marching down the field in nine plays for 69 yards, as Conrad Foss knocked in an 18-yard field goal to lead 3-0.
- The Muskies added to their lead early in the second quarter. Michael Whitley tossed an 11-yard touchdown pass to Michael Esiobu, but the extra point was blocked and Lakeland led 9-0 at the half.
- Late in the third quarter, Whitley scored on a one-yard touchdown run to put the Muskies up 15-0 after an unsuccessful two-point conversion.
- Wisconsin Lutheran got on the board in the fourth quarter. Gino DeGeorge (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) tossed a 41-yard touchdown pass to Mitch Skarban (Appleton, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) to cut the lead to 15-7.
- After Emil Johnson (Cicero, Ill./Morton East) recovered a Lakeland fumble, DeGeorge connected with Skarban again on a 21-yard touchdown pass in the corner of the end zone with 6:09 remaining in the fourth. The two-point conversion was unsuccessful and Lakeland held on to a slim 15-13 lead.
- On the ensuing drive, the Muskies moved the ball 73 yards in 11 plays but the Warriors defense held strong on four straight rushing attempts to force a turnover on downs.
- WLC would go four and out on its next possession but the defense forced another Lakeland turnover on downs near the goal line with 0:18 seconds remaining.
- Wisconsin Lutheran marched 40 yards before time expired and Lakeland held on for the 15-13 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors out-gained the Muskies 387-346 in total yardage. WLC piled up 218 yards through the air and 128 yards on the ground.
- Wisconsin Lutheran accumulated 21 first downs compared to Lakeland's 18.
- DeGeorge was 24-for-49 for 289 yards, with two passing touchdowns and one interception.
- Skarban hauled in nine catches for 141 yards and two scores.
- Josh Helton (Houston, Texas/Waltrip) carried the ball 23 times for 48 yards.
- Andrew Flegel (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) led WLC with 10 tackles and a forced fumble. Five Warriors posted sacks in the contest.
- Jake Henes (Menominee, Mich./Menominee) and Jim D'Angelo (Fredonia, Wis./Ozaukee) each recorded three tackles for loss.
- Whitley was 18-for-30 for 218 yards through the air and a score. He also ran for 82 yards on 22 attempts and a score.
- Eldrada Meeks made four catches for 77 yards. Esiobu hauled in a touchdown reception.
- Romain Johnson recorded 13 tackles and Landon Derginer recorded an interception.
- The Warriors travel to Lisle, Ill., next Saturday to face off against NACC foe Benedictine (2-2, 0-0 NACC). Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. Links to live audio, stats, and video will be available at wlcsports.com. The Eagles were 45-10 non-conference winners over Kalamazoo at home on Saturday night.